Chapter 18

Mónica's POV

"We do the chorus again trying that different note, ok?"

I nod, getting ready to sing the same lyrics again. I've had to repeat each part way more than normal. I usually nail my recordings on the first couple of tries. But I guess my mind is somewhere else.

"Was that good?"

The thumbs-up I get makes me smile. I'm finally done for the day.

"Is my mum still here?"

"Yes, she's over there with your boyfriend".

"What? Pablo is here?"

The assistant nods and leaves. And I try to think quickly about how to approach this. What is he even doing here?

"Mum, I'm done. We can go", I say, ignoring him.

"Mónica, can we talk?"

"We don't have a date until Tuesday, so no. We can't talk".

"Why don't you listen to him?"

"Excuse me?", I can't believe what my mum is doing. "Didn't you hate him a couple of hours ago?"

"I never hated him. I hated learning the truth. But I've talked to him and I think you should do the same".

"And I think you two should leave me alone".

I leave the room, not looking back at them. They can stay together if they are such good friends now.

"Where are you going, Mónica?"

"Home".

"I'm supposed to drive you there".

"I'll take a taxi".

"Mónica!"

Her tone makes me stop. She's never raised her voice at me in public.

"What?"

"Stop being a kid".

I try to hold the tears. I don't want people to see me cry again. So I go to where Pablo is standing, staring at me.

"I can't talk to you right now, ok? I'm hurt. And seeing you hurts. If you want me to be able to be with you while we keep faking, give me some time to be alone, please".

"But I'm not faking anything, Mónica. I need you to know that...".

"And I need you to stop lying to me! Just leave me alone. I'll see you Tuesday".

Gavi's POV

"Give her some time".

"Yes...", but I don't want to give her time. I want her back.

"Being hurt by your first love isn't easy. You have to understand her. I'll try and talk to her".

"Thank you".

"But my husband doesn't know, so please be careful around him".

I nod and see her leave to catch Mónica.

Saúl: Mónica has asked Manu to cancel your next date. What should I do? Are you going to mess this up more if I force you to be with her?

I shake my head. This is the last thing I need.

Pablo: cancel it. We'll be fine by next week. I swear.

But I'm not sure we will. I'm not sure we'll ever be again. The hurt I saw in her eyes...how do I get her to forgive me after that?