Chapter 11

Henry regarded Tim quietly for a moment. His face was twisted in an expression of confusion. He took a deep breath and spoke slowly as if choosing his words carefully.

"There are many names for them, thám tau, wechslertiere, integron, reflectors,among others. They are a very rare species of Other, most likely extinct. They have the ability to take on characteristics of any Other they come in contact with. They are said to be the proto-others. Each of the Other species you see today were started by a certain bloodline of these reflector's. They took on characteristics of monster's from human mythology. They went through a process, over many generations, called specialisation. Once specialised, they lost the ability to change traits and they eventually specialised into the species of Others, how they did so is unknown. It's suggested that they went extinct by becoming the Others"

Tim was taken aback. If what the demon had said was true, could he be one of these creatures? He struggled to understand how it was possible for him to be something like that. His parents were human and so was he, right.

"Harry, could a reflector live as a human for years without ever showing signs of being an Other?"

Henry pondered for a bit, before concluding that it was possible especially if they were surrounded by humans or Others acting like humans.

"One more question, Harry. When I was in the forest for the test, I fell under the devil's spell and was put in a dream-like state. But after seeing you, the connection ended. Do you know how that happened?"

Henry gave a sigh.

"That may be because there is a magical connection between us. I don't fully understand it but it will always draw us together. It's how I knew I could trust you. I'd wager that a part of you wanted to return to me and that broke you free."

That explained so much about how Tim had felt from the first moment he had met Henry's gaze. At least something about the night before made sense.

Just then Morgan burst in, frantic and slightly out of breath.

"The Queen is on call in the headmasters office, awaiting a report," she said to Henry, between gulps of air, "You're wanted as well, Tim."

***

Tim didn't know how to react, after meeting a person he'd only read about in mythology books. Queen Mab was in a gold framed mirror, engraved in complex runes Tim didn't recognise, that hung in the headmaster's office. Her shoulder length red hair was braided and interlaced with twigs of berries. Atop her head rested a crown of red and purple flowers. Her green eyes were piercing and commanding. Her face was lightly freckled and her features were soft and nurturing. Her visage was mesmerising and beautiful, strikingly so.

"Lieutenant Colonel Ravenrook, report on the events that transpired last night," her voice was sweet and soft but there was a power behind it.

"Your majesty, At around eleven pm, the test began. Shortly after the second rest zone was triggered, demons flooded the manor from below. I was interrogated as to the whereabouts of the artefact, not giving any information. Their leader knocked me out after realising he wasn't getting anywhere. He was likely planning on taking me back to The Pit for harsher methods of interrogation. Shortly thereafter, I awoke in the arms of the Second Lieutenant to the screams of most of the demons being burned by holy water his team had hooked up to the sprinklers, trapped by salt they had spread along the entrances."

Tim was shocked by Henry's business-like tone. He and Morgan looked stiff, while talking to the Queen.

"Second Lieutenant Garland, intel informs me that the demons believe you to be a reflector, have you noticed anything unusual about yourself? New abilities for instance?"

Tim heard Henry and Morgan gasp audibly, then the room suddenly became breathless. Time seemed to drag while Tim thought.

"Yes, your majesty. While attempting to rescue He- the Lieutenant Colonel, my vision seemed normal, despite the manor being lightless."

"So they were right," the Queen said sighing, "Ravenrook, I'll be sending a new staff member your way. They will teach the Second Lieutenant to use his newly discovered attributes in combat. Henry, The Crown is joining the war against the Demons."

After giving such startling news, and without signing off, Queen Mab's visage disappeared from the mirror. This left Morgan and Tim staring confusedly at their reflections. The war had come.