"I never thought you were one to swing that way" said a female voice behind him. He turned to find the Queen Charlotte herself staring him down with a smirk. "Whatever do you mean, Your Majesty?" Reynolds tried to play dumb, but the Queen saw right through it. "Well, I know you have the hots for my helper" she said, pointing to where Brimsley was once standing. Reynolds slumped in defeat, "So I guess I will be having my head removed?" he asked. Charlotte laughed, "No, why would I ruin a love so pure? You clearly love each other, yet you hide secrets from him" she said. Reynolds nodded his head, "I have been given strict orders to not tell anyone what I am told to keep secret". "Well tell me this secret: do you love him?" Charlotte asked. This question caught Reynolds by surprise. "...Yes, I really do love him" Reynolds said quietly, clearly still embarrassed. The Queen tilted her head back in thought. After a few moments, she resumed, "Well I suppose there's really only one way to see if this love is truly something you want with my helper, " she said, "Reynolds, you shall ignore him the entire ball and see to comforting him afterwards. If you succeed, I'll let you two be. If not, your heads will be on display for all of Britain to see". Reynolds internally winced. Ignore Brimsley? He could barely use the loo without thinking about Brimsley. The Queen clearly saw this and sighed, " Trust me on this, Reynolds. He loves you and if you love him as much as he loves you, this will be a breeze for you" she explained. She turned towards the entrance and started walking before she suddenly stopped and aid, " The sculptures and flowers are correct, by the way".

(Another skip brought to you by our Slay Queen Charlotte)

(At the Ball)

"Thank you all for coming to our wonderful ball! Please enjoy yourselves as we honor what our newfound love has given us: a baby boy!" King George said, putting his hands on Charlotte's baby bump. The crowd went wild with joy. "Can you really call it love?" Brimsley joked to Reynolds. Usually, Reynolds would have laughed or told him to shut up, but he straight up ignored him. Reynolds even actually walked away from him to the entire other corner of the ball room! 'Has he gone mad?' Brimsley thought. He dismissed the action until the dancing actually started. Instead of coming over to him and going deep in the forest to ask, he took the invitation to dance from a lady of the court who had been CLEARLY flirting with him since he arrived in the corner. As they danced, Reynolds smiled at the lady who he was dancing with. Brimsley actually felt his heart rip slowly as he watched the love of his life slip away from him. He felt dead inside. Numbness went to the ends of his fingers and became cold.

 He subconsciously decide one thing for himself: it was a mistake to have come. So, he silently went into the palace and into his quarters. He plopped himself down onto his bed and just thought entire time. Why was Reynolds being...an asshole? He couldn't figure it out. Was it the complement that he gave him? Could he not handle complements like a normal person? His head was tight and vision was blurry. He wanted to cry but was he even allowed to cry? Had he been a servant to the crown for so long that he forgot how to think for himself? He drowned in his sorrows. Maybe. Maybe he had no idea of love and maybe he was a servant but that didn't mean he wasn't allowed to love. He took his pillow and hugged it tightly. 

This was going to be a rough night.

Hello again!

Thanks for reading chapter 2! I know it does feel a little bit rushed in some points and that's because I want to get to the part where their adventures aren't actually in the series. I really want them to experience the world around them and fall closer in love with every experience, so that's why I wanted to get the series part over. The next parts won't be so rushed and will primarily focus on their relationship with the help of Queen Charlotte (she ships it) and we'll find out in the next chapter whether Brimsley will forgive Reynolds, so stay tuned for more updates on our favorite helper bois!

Zee out!

(Can we just take a moment to honor our extreme shipper Charlotte? Like, she's the Queen literally and ship-wise)

1638 words