CH. 5.3 Fighting for Gabe

Comincia dall'inizio

As blackness began to close in around her edges, Alex heard a voice calling out her name. She knew that voice and instinctively curled away from it.

"Oh, hi Gabe." Alex tried to sound nonchalant. Bleeding ruined the effect.

Gabe gently brushed her hair off her forehead with one hand and cradled her head in his other arm. "Are you okay?" he asked, concern etched across his face.

"Sure," Alex replied, trying to joke but failing miserably. "How can a pregnant reptile hit so hard?"

"Alex." Gabe said, sounding both annoyed and worried. "Stop that. What are you trying to prove? I thought I explained that to you—"

"Step away from her." Cla's voice was wintry cold. "I claim that the mammal sleep-mate is a continued threat." She was addressing their audience. "Is it agreed?"

The Anolis females muttered among themselves in agreement.

"No, I won't have it!" Gabe shouted angrily. His words punctured the air like a sharp stone. "She will stay at the Institute, where she belongs."

"Gabe," Alex said, her voice soft yet firm. "There's something I must tell you."

Cla stood and declared in a booming voice that echoed through the courtyard, "Her presence here shows that your assurance means nothing! Therefore, I declare her an enemy of the state and claim the death right!"

Cla looked at the audience for support. When Mina leaned close, Cla whispered, "While I have the Kuni's orders to kill the mammal, it's better politically if I kill her from death right for threatened sleep-mate."

Mina nodded and stood upright.

"Forget it, Cla. She'll go back and stay back," Gabe said.

"Your cooperation is not required." Cla's frigid voice turned on Gabe.

"That's what I have to tell you," Alex whispered. "This regime, it's female dominated. You're not her boyfriend, you're her property. You can't pull off your coup if you are locked up like a slave. That's why I came. They use some ancient code that allows them to fight over mates. I can free you, just like Razz."

"I can take care of myself," Gabe said, almost as coldly as Cla. "You're useless here, lying on the ground, wounded. That's why I ordered you to stay at the Institute. Go back now. I won't see you slaughtered like," he stopped himself.

"I'm not your family to be slaughtered," Alex said. "I'm a Guardian, like you."

"Not like me," Gabe said. "I've trained my entire life. I order you back to the Institute until further instructions. Obey me like you should, if you're truly a Guardian."

"Guards." Cla motioned toward the two.

"I'll show you who's a Guardian. But since I'm useless here, play along with them. I'll make a break for it. They still don't know I can fly. Go on," Alex urged.

Gabe helped Alex to her knees before the guards grabbed his arms. He was about to throw them off, but remembered himself, and let them pull him back. Instead of flying off, Alex wobbled unsteadily. Cla was at her throat in an instant.

"Stupid mammal, I should kill you slowly."

It wasn't Gabe's hand that sent Cla's knife spinning through the air. It was Zilik's. He threw Cla off and pulled Alex to his side.

"Pest," Alex greeted him.

Zilik took a deep breath before continuing. His voice echoed throughout the open square as he pleaded his case, "A sleep-mate cannot be a threat if she is claimed by another after relinquishing her right to her first mate." He paused to let the words sink in, and scanned the faces of those who had agreed that Alex deserved execution. He went on, "It's in your own code."