Chapter 18

The following night, Riff appeared yet again at my window. I had been ready for the Dog Days dance for several hours, dressed in a light purple dress that Antoinette had left behind. My hair was left down at my shoulders, and my shoes were simply the boots that I had donned nearly every day, since they were the only pair I owned. 

Riff was wearing a blue shirt and regular pants. While the wealthier eyes would see his attire as relatively informal, Jets, Sharks, and Newsies would be aware of the effort to acquire a shirt with no stains or rips. 

"You ready?" He asked, not removing his eyes from my face. I nodded. He then took my hand and walked with me down the fire escape until we were on the street.

"Do you think any Celts are going to be there?" I asked as we walked down the street toward the school's gym. 

"I'm betting on it." He said, not faltering in pace.

"What are you gonna do?"

"We're gonna dance." Riff replied curtly. Soon enough, we made it to the gym doors. School administrators were standing guard as if they were waiting for the prom queen and king of the class that had already graduated a few months prior. 

"Good evening, kids." A bald man said before switching his attention to me. "Your friends have been causing quite the ruckus lately."

"They're not my friends." I said with a shake of my head. Riff grabbed my hand and pulled me inside, where tons of Jets, Sharks, Newsies, and Celts were already waiting and socializing. Upon our arrival, both Bernardo and Jack made their beelines to us, dates on their arms. Bernardo was with Anita and Jack was with a tall woman with red hair.

"Riff, Liza, this is my girl Katherine." He said with a cheesy grin growing on his face. Katherine smiled daintily and shook my hand.

Katherine then stepped back to Jack's side. After only half a second of getting together, Riff turned his head to the door. 

"You're kidding." He said in a low voice. My heart plummeted to my feet and I looked to see who it was, expecting the worst. We watched as a very tall Polish man entered the gym, holding the hand of an immensely short Puerto Rican girl. Riff departed from the group to approach the couple. "Well, if it ain't Super-Man himself!"

"Hey, Batman." The man beamed, casually shaking Riff's hand.

"The man, the myth, the legend." Riff said warmly. Bernardo, who had been quietly speaking with Anita, looked up and yelled the girl's name. He then ran up to her and hugged her tightly. 

"That's his little sister, Maria." Anita told the rest of us. "And that man is her husband, Tony. Liza, when Bernardo gave Riff that stab wound, Tony turned right around and stabbed Bernardo back."

"Seriously?" Katherine said, voice quiet. My attention was drawn back to Riff and Tony.

"Hey, we still womb to tomb?" Tony asked him.

"You know it. Sperm to worm." Riff said, hitting Tony's chest and returning to the group. He excitedly grabbed my shoulders and faced me toward his friend. "Liza, this is my buddy—my brother—Tony. Tony, this is my girl, Elizabeth."

"A pleasure to meet you, Elizabeth." Tony said formally.

"Liza." I smiled, well aware that Riff had introduced me as my real name. Reentering the conversation, Jack moved to get closer to Riff, Bernardo, the newcomers, and myself.  

"Hey, on a real note, are we expectin' to see a couple Irishmen here tonight?" He asked. An instant later, he glanced at me. "No offense to you, kid." 

Just as Riff was about to give Jack a response, a hush fell across the crowd of impoverished people. Our small huddle turned to the gym doors to see Declan and several other Celts walk in. Once they were all in the building, the school administrators shut the doors and clapped their hands to capture everyone's attention. 

"Okay, kids, you know the drill." The bald man yelled. "Get in a circle, girls on the inside, boys on the outside." 

"Get in there." Riff said to me, although I had already made steps to join the circle. Within mere seconds, me, Katherine, Maria, and Anita were all in the circle, along with several other ladies. Riff, Bernardo, Tony, Jack, and practically all the Newsies joined the outer ring. Declan and the rest of the Celts in attendance seemed to be sulking in the corner. 

"Alright, walk!" The bald man shouted. A sudden clamor of upbeat music erupted from the band, and the groups began walking in opposite directions. When the music stopped, I was facing a very ginger Newsie. 

"Oh shit, I gotta dance with the Irish chick?" He groaned.

"Shut up, Albert." Jack said loudly, linking arms with a gorgeous Shark. Albert huffed and put his hands on my waist. I cringed; he was not good at dancing. About ten seconds into halfhearted dancing, a warm hand grabbed my hand and spun me. I twirled away from Albert and ended up facing Riff, who was far better at dancing. 

"Hey." He grinned.

"Hey." I said, looking at him. His hair, though combed back, was beginning to stick up and ignore whatever sort of gel he had borrowed from Dot's. 

"Hey!" The bald man yelled. His voice seemed to scratch my ears and I knew his throat would be sore the next morning. "None of that! Dance with whoever you landed on!"

"What a loser." Riff breathed, slowly letting me go from his grip. 

"Get back in line, kids!" He shouted. This time, the Celts joined the circle. While I couldn't really see the ladies that had joined the circle, I would see that Declan, Ray, Saucy, and Hugh had joined the men's line. Again, the music started up. I willed to pass Declan before the halt of the music, but it stopped when I reached him. 

"Damn." I said. He laughed, all traces of hatred leaving his face, as if we were suddenly friends again. Instead of dropping his hands on my waist like Albert and Riff had done, he grabbed both of my hands and began swinging our arms back and forth like many little kids in Ireland had done growing up (I have no idea but it's a thing that polish people do).

"This Riff guy really likes you?" Declan asked, brown eyes big and curious.

"What?"

"Just answer the question, Liza." He said, spinning me. 

"Yes, he likes me." I said skeptically. Declan nodded. Unbeknownst to me, he had been walking us toward the bleachers. 

"Amazing." Declan said, malice reentering his gaze. He then quickly gripped my wrist tightly and pulled me behind the bleachers before the administrators could see. "If he actually does, he'll come get you before I avenge Ronan."