PROLOGUE

︶꒦꒷♡꒷꒦︶

︶꒦꒷♡꒷꒦︶

Monday, September 6th, 1976; Rebecca Harrington's first day of kindergarten, and she was terrified. The 5 year old was sat in her car seat in the back of her mother's White Cadillac, her older brother Steve sitting next to her. Their father was in a meeting, or so he said, meaning he couldn't be bothered to see his kids off for their first day of school.

As their mother pulled up to Hawkins Elementary School, she turned back and gave her children a huge warm smile. "Stevie, will you make sure Becky gets to her class okay?"

"Course, mom." The boy responded, will unbuckling his seatbelt. "I love you both so much. Becky, you have a great first day, you will do amazing." The woman spoke.

Rebecca only nodded, her face still etched with a frown, wishing that some kind of force would come and force her to stay out of school. Steve got out of the car and went around to help his sister out of her seat. Once she got out of the car, Steve closed the door behind her and grabbed her hand. Their mother rolled down the passenger side window and said goodbye one last time before driving off.

"Come on, let's go find your class." The nine year old, Steve said to his younger sister, pulling her along into the school.

⋆.ೃ࿔*:・

Throughout the rest of the day, Rebecca got less and less nervous, but still not entirely enjoying school as she hadn't made any friends yet. There was also this kid in her class, Troy; she heard his name during the class icebreaker. He was being mean to a few of the kids, she didn't like that.

They were now at lunch, Rebecca was sitting with a girl named Jennifer Hayes. Rebecca thought Jennifer was nice; maybe they could be friends. The idea of Rebecca having a friend made her happy.

As they finished eating, the teachers called them all for recess and led them out to the playground. All of the kids ran out of school, separating to play in different areas.

Looking around, she spotted a small boy, alone on the swings; she also watched as a darker haired boy walked up to him and they started talking. Troy went over to the slides with a boy named James, while Jennifer went over to the sandbox. Rebecca was about to head over with her, when she spotted the monkey bars. Running over to them, she climbed up, grabbed the bar and swung her body forward to grab the next, and kept going till she reached the other side.

She went back and forth a few more times, but then she pulled up on the bar, going through them, and sat on top. She would usually sneak out into her backyard to climb into the trees when her parents were fighting, it gave her a sense of freedom. She felt like the queen of the playground being that high up, watching over everything. That's when she saw Troy and James walk over to the sandbox.