They May Know, But It Really Doesn't Change Much

Start from the beginning

"You hid my tools so you could invade my privacy?" Mr. L sounds hurt.

"Is that really what you want to talk about right now?" Mimi almost laughs. "A man is missing, you're both to blame for it, and now my friend is blackmailing you."

As she talks, Mario goes to check to make sure no one is listening, going to the other end of the throne room.

"That would've been nice to know."

"Mimi, I--" Mr. L stammers. "I was trying to keep you safe."

"L, come on." Mimi complains. "I knew you were lying to me; I straight up asked you what was going on, and you chose to double down. You could've gotten in over your head, and from the look of it, you still are! I had every right to know!"

As Mario comes back, Mr. L nods, "Which you do, now. Which officially makes you guilty by association, the thing I was trying to not allow to happen.", then adds, "Unless you turn us in."

Now Mimi's the one that looks hurt, "Do you think so little of me that I'd really do that? I just said I'd help you."

"No, Mimi." Now Mr. L's standing right in front of her. "You've been through just as much as we have. Don't add one more thing."

"Little too late for that, L." Mimi says.

"I'm sorry." Mr. L says, the relief evident on his face. "I hate that you're involved in this, and I hated lying to you."

Mimi holds up the note, "When I saw this, can you even imagine what I thought was happening?"

"Yes." Mr. L says quickly. "And I hate myself for that too."

"Should've seen me, didn't even think, I just thought you and Mario were getting up to who knows what, and I caught you with him--"

"Oh nonononono." Mr. L shuts her down, grabbing her shoulders. "Absolutely not. That is never gonna happen. I told you, my life now is it for me."

"Then can I still be a part of it?" Mimi asks quietly. "I didn't trust you like I should've."

Mario just stands behind them awkwardly before Mimi seems to remember he's there.

"So. Whaddaya say we stop Nastasia and get you two off the hook?"

"Yeah, Lu, did you track down your mansion account?" Mario asks as he comes closer.

"I..." Mr. L sighs. "It wasn't that easy."

"Did you get it or not?" Mario repeats. "What's not easy?"

"I kind of bumped into Peach. In the castle gardens."

"Okay, so what? She does that." Mario doesn't get it. "Try and ask E. Gadd directly."

"She was with Nastasia." Mr. L says bluntly.

"I won't let you hurt them." Peach says fiercely. "Both brothers are innocent."

"Mario was innocent of embezzlement." Nastasia replies. "And that plan came together so well, didn't it?"

"Wait, what?"

"Bowser was a moron; he would've failed before it even got off the ground. I polished it until it shined." Nastasia brags.

"Even so, that's not the same!" Peach argues.

"Isn't it?" Nastasia ponders. "Bowser wanted to marry you again, and Wario wanted money. Mario was just collateral damage to them. What did they care about the additions I made? This is my plan now, and the brothers are playing right into it, just like I hoped they would."