To be with a Prince

Start from the beginning

"Remember to breathe," Fia whispered, following Aslin and Az into the crowd.

Killian slowed, linking his arm through mine. He walked us towards the priestess, a role that was supposed to be performed by the father, but Rasten had never been a father to any of us. My eldest brother was the closest I was going to get.

"You'll be alright," My brother said softly.

He held my hand to help me step onto the platform before kneeling down. With one last reassuring squeeze he stepped back into the crowd, joining our siblings. He took all the warmth with him. Goosebumps raised on my skin, and it wasn't long before I started trembling. The priestess had begun her speech, droning on about the mother and why we would be doing the ceremony on our knees.

I finally glanced up, and quickly regretted the decision. Knox was scowling at me, the fire in his eyes roaring. He looked away from the deep neckline of the dress that showed off my breasts. Meeting my eyes with molten heat warming my insides even as I continued to shake and shiver.

"Now we will bind you," The hard voice of the priestess finally broke through, followed by soft skin brushing gently against mine.

She pulled my hand forward, draping a thin gold chain around my wrist before reaching towards Knox. She grabbed his hand, but quickly pulled back, her eyes widening briefly before recovering. He murmured an apology, holding out his hand towards me.

Warmth radiated off of his skin, melting the slowly falling snow. Steam began to curl off of his shoulders, but the hand extended towards me seemed as cold as I was. The gold draped against his skin, a beautiful contrast to the night that he was made of.

"With these chains the goddess shall bind you." I flinched away from her, the sound of her voice seeming to amplify.

The cold metal bit into my skin, a violent shiver wracking through my body. The snow was coming heavier now, but more warmth was being emitted by Knox, caressing gently against my skin. I was still trembling, but the goosebumps had disappeared.

"Rise in the mother's love," She spoke again, silver hair swaying gently as she raised her arms to the sky.

We followed her command, gazes meeting once more. Our fingers twined together, copying her and holding our joined hands to the sky. This was supposed to be done during the full moon, with clear skies. Doesn't matter now.

"Go now." She said softly, before turning back to her audience, "Seal your bond."

The chain would remain wrapped around our hands, a gift from the priestess. Most mates would turn it into a necklace, others sell it. I gripped his large hand tighter, calluses scraping against the delicate skin of my palm. We stepped off of the platform, and I led him towards the path they had lit with candles. The warmth from him soaked into me, relaxing my tense muscles even as dread curled inside me.

We slipped out of the barely open gates. As soon as we stepped past them they shut with a clack. The lock sliding back into place. Thankfully the path to the cabin was lit, hopefully they would have a fire roaring in it. We walked along the wide path quietly, sharp stones making me wince with every step. I could feel his gaze upon me, but I stayed focused on the path ahead.

Deep breaths. I reminded myself, paying attention to anything but the large male beside me. The male that could rip me to shreds without any effort. The male that was going to be inside me once we reached the cabin. My steps slowed before finally coming to a halt.

"Is something wrong?" That heavy accent wrapped around my body, soothing some of my fears.

"My feet hurt," I mumbled. Not a lie, but not what my problem really is.