Chapter 2: A Surprising Encounter

During practice, Maddie found herself unable to take her eyes off the new dancer, who went by the name of Ethan. Their eyes met for a brief moment during a complicated dance routine, and she could feel the intensity in his gaze before they both returned to their performance.

____________________________________

Day of the competition
____________________________________

The junior elite competition team, along with Ethan, eagerly made their way towards the grand venue, buzzing with excitement as the day of the competition finally arrived. As they approached the entrance, they took in the vibrant yet intimidating atmosphere that filled the air.

Amongst the frenzy, Cathy from Candy Apples Dance Company appeared to be waiting for someone. She spotted Ethan and the girls and immediately strutted towards them, a smug smile playing at her lips.

"Well, well," Cathy said, her voice dripping with sarcasm. "If it isn't Abby Lee Miller's precious little stars. What's this I see? Ethan holding hands with both Brooke and Maddie? It must be hard trying to keep up with two girls at once."

The team glanced at each other uncomfortably while Abby Lee Miller clenched her teeth, readying herself to unleash a verbal assault on Cathy for her unwanted comment. However, before Abby could say anything, Ethan stepped forward confidently.

"Actually Cathy," he said calmly, "We're all just good friends here, supporting each other before a big competition. Something you might not understand since you're always busy stirring up drama."

Abby Lee Miller couldn't help but crack a proud smile as Cathy's face turned beet red from embarrassment. The girls exchanged glances and silently cheered for Ethan's courage in standing up for himself and his friends.

Composing herself but still visibly frustrated, Cathy muttered a half-hearted "good luck" before storming away from the group towards her own team.

Despite the unnecessary tension brought about by Cathy's presence, Abby and her dancers continued into the competition with renewed determination in their eyes. As they began to scale up their focus on their routines and winning strategies to put on an incredible performance, they knew they had each other's backs in navigating through such clashes—and that unity only served to strengthen their bond as a team even more.

The tension was still high after Ethan had told off Cathy. The group gathered in the rehearsal room to practice their dance for the upcoming competition, each dancer trying to focus on perfecting their moves. Abby Lee Miller, their demanding dance instructor, scrutinized every movement, checking for any imperfections that might cost them a win.

For the hundredth time, Abby stopped the music and glared at Kendall and Nia. "Girls, I don't know how many times I have to tell you this. Your timing is off, and your footwork is sloppy! Get it together!"

Kendall and Nia exchanged apologetic glances before getting back into position. As they repeated the dance routine again and again, Abby's frustration grew. Finally, after another unsuccessful run-through, she threw her hands up in exasperation.

"Enough! We're changing things up," Abby declared, her tone brooking no dissent.

Minutes before they were scheduled to go on stage at the competition, Abby made an unexpected announcement that sent ripples of shock throughout the group. "Ethan and Maddie, you'll be doing a duet together," she said briskly. "And Ethan and Brooke will follow with another duet of their own."

The dancers looked at one another in disbelief – they had never rehearsed these duets before. It was clear they would have to rely solely on their improvisational skills while on stage.