Chapter 26 - Ride

Start from the beginning

I thought she was watching TV, but it turns out she's busy on her phone while sitting on the couch. I swallowed the lump in my throat before walking near her.

When she noticed my presence, she set aside her phone and tapped the space beside her.

Ayaw ko mag assume pero parang mukha ko yata yung naka wallpaper sa phone nya. Tinaob na kasi nya iyon bago ko pa totally makita ng buo.

Tumabi ako sa kanya at gaya ng inaasahan ay hindi sya natuwa sa espasyong nilagay ko sa gitna namin. Kasya pa kasi dalawang tao e dahil medyo malayo ako sa kanya.

"Can you come closer?"

"Hmm, maybe later when we're already done talking."

Matagal nya akong tinitigan hanggang sa hindi na ako maging komportable at ako nalang mismo yung nag desisyon na lumapit sa kanya. Maingat akong naupo sa tabi nya inantay syang mag salita.

Pero ilang segundo na yung lumipas ay hindi pa din sya naimik kaya ako nalang muna yung nagsalita dahil may bumabagabag din sa isip ko.

"Alam mo ba kung na saan si Kuya?"

Umiling sya sa tanong ko pero hindi ako kumbinsido.

"That's impossible. Sya dapat ang asawa mo ngayon kung hindi sya umalis."

"Hindi pa din naman talaga sya ang magiging asawa ko kahit hindi sya umalis."- bulong nya pero rinig ko naman.

"What do you mean? You guys were so in love with each other. Everyone witnessed that."- I said, not minding if I sounded bitter.

She sigh and look down while fidgeting her fingers on top of her lap.

"I wasn't... I mean.."

"It's okay. You don't need to answer——"

"I love you, Claire."

My lips parted and I forgot the other things I wanted to say because of her words.

"I know you won't believe me, but thats the truth. I love you."

"As sister? Yeah, I know that."

Tumango tango pa ako at pilit na ngumiti sa kanya. Malungkot nya akong tinignan at saka umiling. Nangngingilid na din ang luha nya at halatang pinipigilan lang nya na umalpas iyon at tumulo.

"Look, I.. I'm sorry. I'm sorry if I hurt you. I'm really sorry. I've got a lot of explaining to do, but as of now, I know it's hard for you to believe in me."

"Yes, it's hard,"- I whispered. "You and your mixed signals have been the source of my bittersweet feelings for you, but I don't know why I still... I still want to be with you."

I like her so much. I know I shouldn't, but despite the hatred I tried to feed my mind, my heart never knew how to listen. I'm just always finding myself going back to the start. I liked and fell for her more because, deep down, I was hoping that she felt the same way.

"Nakausap ko sya nuong pag alis mo sa bahay. We talked, and after that, he told me that he was going to work, but I didn't know na iyon yung huli. Sa maniwala ka o hindi, I really don't know where Kenz is. Hindi ko alam, Claire."

I nodded my head, "I see."

Mukhang nagsasabi naman sya ng totoo pero curios ako sa kung anong napag usapan nila. Baka iyon yung rason kung bakit nag back out si Kuya.

She must have noticed the discomfort on my face, which is why she tried to smile at me while reaching for my hand.

"I said earlier that we're going to talk about us, so I hope we will not involve other people here."