12. BROKEN HEARTED

Start from the beginning

    Victoria's hands rubbed the dirty dish clean with force, turning her hands raw against the straw scrubber. She was taking her mindful frustrations out on this innocent plate as if was filled with all her worries on top of it.

    "Rory?" A voice sounded from behind her, startling her in a way that caused her body to jump, turning fast towards the culprit who frightened her. The plate clashed against the silver sink, but didn't dare break, easing her, as she knew her mother would scold her heavily for breaking such a well-crafted item. It was Cook who interrupted her, his face glowing in the light of the dimly lit kitchen. "You okay?"

    "Yeah — just fine. Why?" She brushed her hands against a freshly cleaned towel, then began to run her hand through her hair.

    "You just seem, I don't know, tense, I guess." He shrugged, gently placing his own silverware down after he had made his way towards Victoria's side. "Do you want to talk about it?"

    "No." She trailed off, chewing on her bottom lip as she avoided eye-contact. "But we do need to talk" Victoria fought off her nerves, peering up to his blue eyes. "About us — whatever this is."

    "Yeah," he nodded. "I know." It was obvious he didn't know how to start, not only by his silence, but the way his hands fidgeted together taught Victoria in the moment that he wasn't as prepared like she was.

    "Cook," his name cascaded from her lips, the way she had said it caused a chill to run down his spine, something Effy was never capable to do to him. "what are we doing?" She smiled, shaking her head. "Effy and Freddie broke up, you know that, right? I thought the entire reasoning behind you and I ever starting something was so you could go and be with Effy like you wanted. And now, you're sitting in my dining room eating fucking duck with my parents."

    "I know- you're right-" Cook inhaled heavily, scratching his forehead nervously. "I don't know, Vic. Something about ending whatever this is seems, wrong, I guess." He mutters, almost ashamed to say those type of words.

    "The only thing wrong about this is that we ever started it at the beginning." She crossed her arms over her guarded chest, before leaning against the crystallized counter. "We aren't in a real relationship, Cook. All the shit that we've done was to make Effy jealous, that's it."

    "That's a fucking lie." Cook shook his head in some sort of a denial.

    "No, it isn't, Cook! Nothing that's happened between us has been real. I'm not in love with you, Cook. I don't want you and I don't need you — get that through your fucking head. I don't want you here, I never wanted this with you." Victoria's voice raised. She knew her parents most likely were hearing this conversation, but she didn't care at this point. She needed Cook to get this through his head. At the start, admittedly, she was jealous in a way of Cook's love for Effy. But now that her and Freddie were something, she didn't care much about Cook.

    "How can you say that? You seriously don't feel a single thing for me, Rory? Not a fucking thing." He gawked, his head shaking.

    "No, I don't." Victoria stepped back, rubbing the crease of her forehead. "Cook, you're a nice guy, but nothing is going to happen between us."

    "Fuck that." Suddenly, Cook rushed forward with so much force, it caused Victoria to stumble back. Before she could fall straight on her ass, Cook's left arm hooked around her waist, pulling her close to his body, while his right palm came onto her cheek, guiding her lips onto his. Victoria was frozen on the spot, her eyes automatically closing instinctively.

    With less than 30 seconds into the kiss. Victoria pushed Cook away from her, causing him to release her. The air in her lungs sealed shut, refusing to let her properly breathe. Victoria whipped herself around, embarrassed to face him. Her fingers touched her newly puffy lips, stunned by what just had happened. Victoria's mind replayed the event in a torturous way, a sudden rush of guilt forming in the pit of her stomach.