Chapter 1: i forgot that you existed

My family has been going to Susannah's beach house every summer since I was an infant.

Every day I count down until it's the day we go down to the house. The dad's come to visit, but it's not theirs.

It's ours, the moms and us kids.

The summer house is made up of many things, including the beach.

Reading late at night as my sister Belly swims.

Girls' movie nights.

But, the boys, the boys most of all.

It's always the same, every summer.

I love it, but I hate it.

I love that nothing changes and our dynamics are the same, but some part of me wants it to be different.

Everything magical, exciting, and good, happens in the months of June, July, and August.

***

Belly and I are packing our clothes while Taylor sits on the bed texting Drew.

"Drew's bummed that you're missing the beach match-up with the boys next weekend," Taylor says, not glancing up from her phone.

"Make sure you tell Sophie to square up from the block," Belly replies.

I look up from folding my clothes to see if I can join in the conversation.

"Drew Martinez is texting me about you and you're talking about volleyball?" Taylor laughs.

The two girls start rambling about the volleyball game that Belly won't be able to go to.

I continue folding the rest of my clothes as they talk.

"I thought you were here to help me pack," Belly says, holding her one-piece bathing suit.

"'ll help. Here's a tip. Don't bring that Speedo. It doesn't do a thing for your new boobs."

I start to laugh at the comment and Taylor glances over at me and then says "Same for you, you've had your boobs, for like two years, and you've been wearing baggy t-shirts and swimsuits that look like you're training for the Olympics,"

I look in my mirror and see I am wearing a baggy shirt, just as Taylor described, and I'm literally holding a suit that resembles a USA Olympic Swimsuit.

I blush at the realization as Taylor notices and says "See, I'm right,"

"But, I don't have any boobs, I'm as flat as a five-year-old," I reply.

"That doesn't mean your not hot, or that you don't look different,"

Now, that I'm done packing I sit by Belly's bed where Taylor is sitting.

Belly takes a seat next to me as Taylor boops us both on the nose.

"Now, before you two go, you have to tell me your summer wishes," Taylor says, as Belly closes her bag.

"I don't know," Belly and I reply in unison.

"You little liars, yes you do." "You"- Taylor points at Belly- "want a hot make-out session with Conrad Fisher, you want his tongue in your mouth, and you," - she points at me- "want it to"

I shake my head, and they giggle.

"One of you has to make the move, you've both had a crush on him since we were like twelve," Taylor tells us.

"Yeah, right, he'd totally react they we'd want him to if we walked up to him and said 'Yeah, I've been in love with you for the past five years, want to get married?" I retort, giggling.

"Well, he'll see you both differently, whether, he wants to or not. You look a lot different than last summer,"

***

We're finally in the car after getting all our bags and snacks in.

Steven's driving. I don't really trust him even though he's been doing it for the past three years.

Belly is currently singing her heart out to Can't do better by Kim Petra as I read my book, Little Women.

"So I kill my insecurities, YOU CAN'T DO BETTER!!"

"OHHHH! YOU CAN'T DO BETTER"

I close my ears as her voice gets louder.

"Hey, could you turn it down?" Mom asks.

"Yeah," Steven agrees.

I look up from my book because I can tell Mom is about to say something.

"I want you to be better about helping out this summer. Like don't just leave your dishes in the sink, load them into the dishwasher, and not just your own dish,"

I nod my head in agreement and go back to reading.

I assume they continue the conversation, but I'm not sure, I start to look out the window and zone out.

Through the space between the door and the seat, I see Belly looking out the window just as I'm doing, seeing cousins again.

I now hear Steven saying "Mom, I'm too old for a curfew,", he's whining like a five-year-old.

"Wait, what about me? I don't have a curfew, right?" Belly asks.

"And me," I say, not looking away from the window.

"Why do you need a curfew, you don't go anywhere," Steven laughs.

"Don't be an asshole Steven, Belly, Este, we'll talk about it when something comes up," Mom says.

I softly laugh at Mom's jab at Steven.

Belly and Mom start to talk about driving since Belly is getting her license next year.

***

We finally take a rest stop at a gas station and I run like a madman to the bathroom.

Mom walks behind me laughing.

After I use the restroom, I grab some snacks I want and go over to the cash register.

I see that the cashier person is flirting with Bells, I'm a little grossed out because she's my sister, but I stay out of the way.

"Are you going to the bonfire tonight?" The cashier named Jump says as he checks to snacks Bell is getting.

"Maybe," she replies.

"I'll introduce you to my friends," Jump says, putting his hand out for the credit card.

"Maybe I will," Belly says as she hands him the card.

Mom goes up to Belly and asks if she's going to go to Whale with a Tail, the bookshop, with her.

Most likely Mom assumed I'd be going with her, since there are a ton of books, because I like books and buying books.

As Mom talks to Belly, I pay for my things.

Once I'm finished, Mom opens the door, and we leave.

We get in the car and start driving.

Soon enough we pass the "Welcome to Cousins" sign.

I feel as though I'm home as I look out the window.

It seems like nothing has changed and Cousins has been waiting for me.

A/N: ahhh first chapter out!! I'm so happy, thank you so much for reading!! Being real, this is only the first seven minutes of the first episode, I typed 1,057 words, and it's only the first seven minutes. ANYWAYS, have a great day/night, love ya!! <3333- kay