"You!"

Both Perrie and Grace heard Cecily's angered exclamation from out in the foyer, and they both stood bolt upright before hurrying out of the drawing room.

Just as Perrie feared that her grandmother had confronted the viscount, she was shocked to see both Joe and Ed at the top of the stairs. Joe, for she was certain it was him, locked eyes with Perrie immediately just as soon as she had reached her grandmother. She could only briefly see the two brothers united, with Ed's protective arm in front of Joe where it usually lay, before Cecily began her tirade.

"You fortune-hunting scoundrels, the pair of you!" Cecily bellowed, her furious voice booming up the stairs with not a care in the world about spectators.

"Your Grace –" Ed began to appeal, before Cecily interrupted him.

"Do not address me so informally," she spat. "'Your Grace' is reserved for those ranked lower than I. That system does not apply to rats and vermin."

"Grandmamma!" Perrie exclaimed. "You will stop this at once!"

Cecily's eyes shot to Perrie, and they flared widely. "Do you understand what they have done? Of course, you do, you have just been crying about it for the last half hour."

Out of the corner of her eye, Perrie saw Joe's shoulders stiffen.

"It is not their fault, Grandmamma!" Perrie insisted.

"Darling, you are too innocent, too naïve, and while it is customary for young ladies to be so, it is to your detriment in this instance. I assure you, however, that they two of them are well aware of what would have happened, and what has happened, when one is caught with a young woman unchaperoned!" Cecily seethed, pointing between Joe and Ed. "Though I am certain the pair of you saw the advantage of such a scandal! And look at what you have achieved, whichever of you is Joseph. Wed to the daughter of a duke. You had better pray I do not poison you at your wedding breakfast."

"I never wanted this to happen." Joe stepped forward then, descending down a few steps, and away from Ed. Ed remained on the landing, silent, but screaming. Joe's voice was broken and strained. One glance at him could tell anyone that he was wracked with guilt.

"Hogwash," snapped Cecily.

"I was foolish," Joe insisted. "I was careless with Perrie's reputation. Criminally so. If I could undo this all, I would. I don't want this."

Perrie resisted wincing rather obviously. It was made clear by everything about him, from his voice, to even the way he stood, that the last thing Joe Parish wanted was to be married to Perrie Beresford. And Perrie could not blame him. His choice had been taken from him, too.

"Do not insult my intelligence by suggesting that there was not some ploy in order to manipulate my granddaughter," rebuffed Cecily. "Certainly, some sweet words had to have been whispered into her ear in order for her to travel cross country to your aid, Mr Parish."

Perrie blushed scarlet, and she turned around into the safety of her mother's shoulder. And as she did so, she waited for Joe to tell Cecily that there was no ploy. There had been no plan. Neither one of them had plotted for any of this.

But a full minute passed in silence, and Perrie's stomach dropped to her knees.

"I see it confirmed on your faces," Cecily growled. "I should have suspected you both the minute you crossed Ashwood's threshold. And your father. Where is the good for nothing lout?"

Perrie dared to turn away from her mother, and she quickly saw the look on Joe's face. It was there in his eyes, the guilt, though it was different this time. He stared at her, his brown eyes burning her with angst.