Chapter Eight - Bigots are Never Helpful

Start from the beginning

"Kaz, I still have no idea how you remember so many people. We see thousands of people a year." Buck says in amazement, "They just kinda get stored in the back of my mind until I see them again. It's especially nice when I'm just out on a day off and I see someone we saved living their life normally. Sometimes they see me and sometimes they don't but it's rewarding nonetheless." She leans against the truck with them, listening in on the conversation.

"Pled down to a misdemeanor. Insurance companies are happy to settle instead of going to court." Lorraine says, as if it's obvious knowledge and it makes Kayla sick. "Insurance companies are less happy about fraud. And I got three witnesses who claim you intentionally stepped out behind that poor woman's car. Makes me wonder what I might find when I pull the security footage from this parking lot." Athena says, not wavering like usual.

"I think you'll find a woman suffering with mobility issues. Lot of trouble walking since that fall on the steps. You know, I wonder if it's because I received improper care on the scene." This causes the three firefighters to laugh at her empty threats, missing the end of the whole conversation. Some people are just awful.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kayla is laying on the couch upstairs in the firehouse, reading a book when two familiar pairs of boots walk over to her. "How can I help you, gentlemen?" Her eyes don't leave her book as Eddie and Buck lift her legs up so they can sit on the couch then put them on their laps.

"We're bored, Darlin. Come on, let's play a board game or something." Eddie complains but she keeps her eyes on her book, trying to finish the chapter. "I'm busy right now, you two go play with the hoses or something." She says, dismissing them but they don't move.

"Maddie is going for a ride along today." Buck says, this grabs Kayla's attention. "Really? Who'd she get?" She puts her book down and looks at the two men sitting with her with crossed arms. "She requested Athena but she'll probably text you about it later."

"You're already friends with Buck's sister?" Eddie asks, impressed. "What? You don't think I can make friends, Cowboy? I'm the friendliest person here." Buck laughs at the statement, making her sigh. "I have more friends than you, bullhead."

"I do that by choice." He says, as if it's some kind of achievement. "You make me worry about you sometimes, Buckley." He grins at her and she laughs and messes with his hair. "So, Eddie, how's everything with Carla?" She asks, looking at the man who already was looking at her.

"Chris loves her and she's amazing. I-I don't know what I would do without her." It brings a smile to Buck and Kayla's faces when they hear him continue to talk about how much Carla has helped in such a short amount of time.

Their bonding time gets cut short when the alarm goes off and Buck groans. "I thought we were gonna play a board game!" Kayla rolls her eyes and gets off the couch with Eddie following right behind her. "You coming, Buck?" He asks, looking at the boy who's pouting on the couch. "We can play one when we get back." Kayla's words quickly get him off the couch.

"Let's go save some lives."

"Hey! That's my line!" She yells before jumping on his back and he takes the two of them to the truck as she laughs. Eddie watches with adoring eyes trained on Kayla. Her smile, her attitude, her love of people, just everything makes it easy for Eddie to know that he can't until the moment is right to ask her out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The 118 arrive to a graveyard for a possible appendicitis. "Why are there people protesting?" Kayla asks Hen as the two women get out of the truck. "Who knows, from the signs it looks like some church." That brings a bad taste to Kayla's mouth. "All these extremist so called Christians bring a bad name to us all." She mutters to herself as she slides on her gloves.