Chapter 25 - There's Something Hidden

Start from the beginning

"I-I'm really sorry". She said while wiping her remaining tear stains on her eyes. Good, now we can talk smoothly.

"Before we talk, I want to ask if we already knew each other".

"W-Well, yes. We are classmates, after all".

"Classmates?". At her response, I can't help but tilt my head in confusion. Seeing me like this, she frantically elaborate her explanation.

"M-My name is Sakura Airi. I'm from Class 1-D. S-Sorry for the late introduction".

I see, so that's why her appearance is strikingly familiar. She is one of the side characters on the COTE novel, after all. Her first appearance will be made in the second volume of the novel, or next month, to be precise.

Her role to the second volume of the novel will be crucial, as she will be heavily involved on the case which involves Sudou that will happen in the future.

Currently, she was still fine. Or should I say alone, since she didn't made any friends yet. I kinda remembered a detail from her that she really wants to have friends.

"Well, it's disrespectful not to introduce myself too. My name is Okuma Ikuto, also from Class 1-D. Nice to meet you".

"Eh?".

After my introduction, she showed me a baffled look, as if she can't believe what she was seeing. I don't particularly see anything that strikes me as odd, though.

"What is it?".

"Ah! I'm sorry. I'm not used to see you so respectful and rational. N-No! N-Not that I tried to be mean at you! I'm sorry!".

She then started crying again. Now we're back to square one, I suppose. Having a really bad reputation will really affect the way people view and act against you. It feels troublesome, but negligible to a certain extent. However, if I talk to people just like Sakura, they will start to fear me. The consequences are starting to bite back at me, unfortunately.

"Please calm down. I won't hurt you. I promise". I told her.

After that, she wiped her snot out of her nose using her sleeve. I then resumed the conversation.

"Why did you come to this special building? You could've done it in your dorm?". I asked. If she did that, the chance of discovering her will be next to none.

"W-Well, let's just say that I want to have a change in scenery. It was getting boring a-after all". She said, picking up her camera from her pocket.

"You really do like pictures, huh?". I pointed out, looking at the camera she was holding.

"W-Well, it was very fun for me to take pictures. And since I'm a loner, this is my only past time".

After she said that she was a loner, she started to have a somber look, as is she was about to cry again. Seriously, this girl is getting helpless every minute.

"You know, if you seek human connections, it will be really hard, not to mention, the stress that will be placed in your mind will be astronomical. It would backfire instead of stabilizing your state of mind. The best way to avoid that is to seek solitude". I said, giving her my opinion. She seems perplexed at my solution.

"B-But, if I do that, then I will be lonely, forever, throughout graduation. E-Even if it did affect my state, I still want to have friends".

I see. Basically, it's not like she didn't want to. But she can't help but want to form human connections. Desiring to form relationships was ingrained to her genetics, not only her, but to all human beings in this world. Though I don't know if what I said is true, relationships is one of the reasons why humanity survived. Relationships build trust, and trust builds cooperation, and cooperations builds the road to success.

In an unexpected incident related to Genie Wiley, the victim. She was being isolated from society by her parents in a very young age. It happened because her father held a grudge at society because of their lack of response to his mother's sorry state. Because of that, he didn't trust them and decided to isolate her daughter from society, not wanting her to suffer the same fate as him.

However, that would be a grave mistake, as the development of her brain was greatly affected. Her ability to walk and talk as a human was greatly diminished. She didn't also have technology like cellphone on her arsenal, which is why she didn't know how to act like a human being.

After discovering her, they arrested both of their parents and the experts took care of Hailey. Although, she was trained how to talk, it would be proven difficult as her stage of learning was already finished, which means her brain will develop slowly or will be like that forever.

In short, the development of a person was not solely dependent on oneself. The environment they lived in also contributes on forming their own personalities. Which is why socialization is also as important as learning a new skill.

"Though, it might be harder if you don't socialize right now".

At my statement, she gripped her dress tightly, and unexpectedly, she shouted.

"I-I WAS TRYING MY BEST TOO, YOU KNOW?!". She said loudly, looking at me with teary eyes. "DON'T YOU KNOW THE FEELING OF HELPLESSNESS WHEN YOU SAW OTHER PEOPLE HAPPILY TALK WITH EACH OTHER WHILE YOU CAN'T HELP BUT JUST LOOK AT THEM, FEELING FRUSTRATED FOR YOURSELF BECAUSE OF YOUR INABILITY?! BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT I FELT EVERY SINGLE DAY!".

After shouting all that, she became aware on what she was saying as she looked down on the ground.

"I'm sorry". Said Sakura. She then turned around and was about to run away.

"Wait". At the nick of time, I grabbed her hand firmly, immobilizing her from escaping.

However, something strikes me so suddenly, sending shivers throughout my spine. And at the blink of an eye, I saw something within the girl I'm holding. I then immediately retracted my hand.

"...Well, you should go now. Sorry for the disturbance". I said to her.

After saying that, she nodded meekly and continued to retreat herself from me.

But regarding what I saw from her earlier, there's no mistaking it. What's hidden in her is...

A monstrous potential. A potential that could possibly even surpass me.

Interesting...

TO BE CONTINUED.

===

A/N: At Chapter 19, I edited out the part where the MC said that he forgot about the witness, which is Sakura.