Chapter 13

Kathryn stayed at her parent's house for the whole evening. She ended up staying for dinner and it was just like she remembered from her childhood. She did not want to leave when she did but she knew she needed to talk to Benjamin before heading back to the Bridgerton house. She did not want Anthony to question her when she got home.

She knocked on the Price's house door and waited for a response. Lady Price opened the door and a smile spread across her face as soon as she saw Kathryn.

"Kathryn," she smiled, "It is so good to see you."

"It is good to see you as well Angela," Kathryn smiled.

"Come in, come in," Angela waved, "I heard that you got married. I was sad we didn't get to attend the wedding."

"It was just a small intimate ceremony. Only our immediate families were there," Kathryn said.

"Well congratulations nonetheless," Angela smiled, "I presume you are here for Benjamin. He said the other day that you might stop by."

"Yes. I am," Kathryn said.

"I will go fetch him or you," Angela said.

"Thank you," Kathryn replied.

Angela left and Kathryn let her eyes wander over the room. It looked exactly like she remembered. Not a thing had changed since she was a kid. Her eyes landed on the painting that sat above the fireplace. It was an old painting, one from when Benjamin was still a boy. How Kathryn wished she could go back, when you are young life is so much simpler.

The door opened and Kathryn turned to see Benjamin standing by it.

"I'm sorry," they both said at the same time.

"Why are you sorry?" Kathryn asked confused.

"I should not have just left like that the other night," Benjamin said.

"Nonsense. I completely understand why you left the way that you did," Kathryn said, "I should have been upfront and honest with you that I was married."

"Why did you not?" Benjamin asked.

"I--I do not know," Kathryn said, "I guess I just did not want that to stop us from being friends again. We used to be best of friends."

"I supposed I am at fault for us no longer being best friends," Benjamin admitted.

"I am at fault as well," Kathryn said.

"No. I am the one who stopped writing," Benjamin said, "I am the one who did not respond to your last letter."

"You were traveling, out there seeing the world. I could not fault you for not writing back," Kathryn said.

"Promise me that no matter what we will always continue to be friends," Benjamin said, grabbing ahold of Kathryn's hands, "I do not want to spend any more of my days without you in them."

Kathryn opened her mouth to say yes. She wanted to always be friends with Benjamin, he understood her like no one else did. But she could not promise that. Anthony did not want her to speak to him. He would be absolutely furious if he even knew that she was here. She looked into Benjamin's eyes and she could see the hope drain from them.

"Unless that is not what you want," Benjamin said dropping her hands and taking a step back.

"No, no that is what I want," Kathryn assured stepping closer to him, "It's just that the Viscount told me that I am never to see you again."

"What are you doing here then?" Benjamin asked.

"I could not just stop talking to you without giving you an explanation," Kathryn said, "I did not think that it was right. I could not do that to you."