Chapter 1

For a few seconds the screen stayed black, but then words started popping up. The screen read:

12 Grimmauld Place

Islington, London, England

Summer of 1976

Sirius and Regulus both felt their hearts stop at what they read.

The Black siblings wore nearly identical blank expressions. Only the ones closest to them could see the minute differences.

James Potter saw that Sirius felt anger, sadness, and regret. The bespectacled boy didn't know the details of what happened, but he knew enough to understand his best friend's feelings to an extent.

Evan, Barty, and Rabastan saw Regulus with an expression void of any emotions. They had only seen her like this one other time.

When she came back to school after this incident they were about to watch.

The words disappear as the screen brightens to show the outside of 12 Grimmauld Place. As the house was zoomed in on there was no sound, but getting closer to one window there seemed to be muffled screaming.

Zooming in through the window there was an immediate change in sound quality and volume.

A tall woman with her black hair held in a tight bun was seen screaming, "You are the heir to the House of Black!" A slightly younger Sirius Black is then seen yelling back, "That doesn't mean I have to follow in your twisted pureblooded ways!" The woman, Walburga Black, gnashes her teeth at her eldest son. Still screaming she says, "You will take the mark and follow the Dark Lord!" Sirius pulled his shoulders back before replying, "No."

Sirius closed his eyes and turned his head to the side as he remembered what had happened next.

Walburga straightened and spoke much too calmly, "What did you just say to me?" Sirius saw the predatory look in her eyes, but still chose to speak. "I said no." This caused Walburga to take a slow inhale. "Fine." Without a second of hesitation the older woman drew her wand and yelled, "Crucio!"

As the curse was cast the hall let out a collective gasp.

Sirius didn't bother opening his eyes. He didn't want to see anyone's pity filled expressions. He flexed his hands to ward off any shaking that had started once he heard the curse as well.

Sirius instantly curled into himself in pure agony. However, after over a decade of this same punishment, it was ingrained into his mind to not scream. He grit his teeth, squeezed his hands until he felt his nails cut into his palms, and felt the sweat start to bead on his skin.

But he did not scream.

Walburga stalked forward slowly. With every click of her heeled feet Sirius tried to take a step back. Except he was severely hindered by his tormented state.

Standing directly in front of her son Walburga said, "You will join the Dark Lord's ranks." Sirius gasped as the curse on his body was temporarily lifted. From his hunched position he looked up at his mother and defiantly gritted out, "No. I will not." Walburga's eyes flashed with anger. She slapped Sirius across the face, causing him to fall to the ground, before yelling "Crucio!" once more.

The younger students in the hall had turned away when they heard Sirius get slapped. Older students and adults could only watch in disbelief as one of the most outgoing students that roamed the Hogwarts halls was tortured in his own home.