Carlos and Jules refused to look him in the eye.

"As of a few hours ago, your contract with my Task Force was terminated at your own requests. You are stilled bound by the Official Secrets Act and should you say anything of your time with us you will be open to criminal investigation."

Neither of them flinched, infuriating the General further, when a new man stepped up to join them.

His uniform indicated that he held the rank 'Commander'. He was in his middle ages with a kind face, his hair was a dark colour and his nose was straight.

"Commander Berrick," Ridgeway took a step back.

"General," Berrick nodded in greeting.

"These are the pair I told you about," Ridgeway nodded to Jules and Carlos, their suspicions risen.

"Very good, General. I promise we shall take good care of them."

"See that you do, Commander," Ridgeway turned to them and gave them the company line, "Thank you for your loyal service."

Then General Ridgeway got back into this jeep and drove away. Whatever sympathy or regret Jules had felt towards her voluntarily retirement from his Task Force had vanished into thin air.

"Sergeant Reynolds, Private First Officer Ramirez" Commander Berrick smiled at them, "At ease."

Jules felt her muscles relax as the air grew safe for her to breath once again.

"Your arrival is somewhat peculiar and all of our squadrons have currently been filled. For that purpose you shall be sharing a barracks on your own for the time being, General Ridgeway assures me that this arrangement was better for you despite it being against policy."

Jules felt like she would greatly like this Commander Berrick. Jules had no desire to be housed with other marines. She and Carlos were better together.

"Good," Berrick saw that neither of them refused, "You are to report to training in the morning. The evening is yours, Marines."

Jules and Carlos saluted their new commander and watched him leave, a strange jubilant bounce in his step.

Carlos shrugged as he picked up his pack and headed into the barracks, having no comment on their new leader.

Jules looked around her for a moment when she spotted a small handful of men watching them from further down the street.

But her eye was drawn to the younger man with red hair, the left side of his face seeming almost to twitch when he spotted her looking at him.

Frowning, Jules wondered who they were before she grabbed her pack and entered her new barracks.

* * *

Carlos and Jules became the subject of gossip at the barracks.

Their sudden and peculiar arrival with the American General had raised eyebrows and a lot of questions; none of which that Carlos or Jules were willing to hear, let alone answer.

They plodded through their training, using the time at the base as a semi-vacation whilst they spent their evenings at a pub a few streets away, a regular spot for service personnel in the base.

Life went along like this for a couple of weeks when one day, whilst Jules and Carlos ate their chow on a bench outside the cafeteria, Commander Berrick joined them.

Dropping their knife and fork, they stood to attention.

"At ease," Berrick sighed, "I have some news for you both."

Jules looked upon the Commander's face, saw the hesitation and the sense of duty that laid there, and knew what he was here to tell them.

"You're both being deployed to Afghanistan," Commander Berrick tried to remain impartial, "I have found you both a place in my top squadron. Take this evening to say your farewells to your family, you fly out tomorrow at 0500 hours."

"Sergeant, Private First Officer," Berrick saluted.

They returned the salute and watched him leave.

"Once more unto the breach," Carlos shook his head, the last chapter of their lives truly over, "Who do you suppose they've put us with?"

Jules sat back down at the bench and picked up her fork, "I don't know."

Carlos looked at her with a wide grin on his lips, "You know what this means, don't you, Reynolds?"

Jules frowned up at him, "What?"

"It means you're going to have to ring your family."

Jules went silent for a moment before she dropped her fork. She suddenly lost her appetite.