2

As I was running I could still hear the cries of my mother echoing from where our hut was.

I could also hear my brother shouting along with another the squishing of mud. He must be following me.

"SISSY! ... SISSY!" He yelled probably in between gasps of air.

It broke my heart to hear him yell like that, but I couldn't stop.

I kept running until my legs hurt and I couldn't take another step.

I had reached a small clearing which unlike the rest of the dense forest was void of trees.

I was just able to make it to a small rock when my legs finally gave out underneath me causing me to collapse onto it.

I glanced up at the sky which was lacking any stars but the new moon was lighting up the sky quite nicely. If it was foggy enough you might even think it was day.

I gathered myself and took a deep breath.

I guess I should get heading back. Even if I am still mad I don't want dad and Luis to worry.

...
Where is home?

I my eyes shot around the dark dense forest surrounding me. I had looked at the this forest all my life but suddenly it seemed different, darker, scarier, mistier.

The few tears that had been making their way down my check seemed to double as I felt my stomach turned.

"You poor thing~" I voice echoed softly from the trees.

I rubbed my eyes wiping away as much as the water from my cheeks as possible before squinting into the tree line.

The tears had made my vision blurry and my head was pounding. I felt really dizzy as well.

When my eyes finally adjust all I saw was the other trees which got senses the father away you looked.

"Save your tears. Hasn't anyone told you not to cry for those who do not care?" The voice sounded both kind and cruel as it echoed through the space.

"W-who's there!?" I said pulling myself up with the help of the rock.

"Who am I not?" It responded with a bit of a chuckle.

It was almost like they could see my frusted face as they answered again with a less amused tone.

"Let's just say I'm a friend." It said the sound coming from behind me.

I turned myself around but still, there was nothing.

"Show yourself-" I muttered out. I was met with silence.

"Show yourself " I said again louder then the first time.

Silence.

"Show yourself! "" I screamed out towards the tree line.

Silence.

"Nerika manto!" I screamed towards the woods.

The leaves went flying past me nearly knocking me to the ground before all settle down behind.

They were all there in a neat little pile like there was something there.

"I can't do that unless you turn around-" it said in a soft tone.

"Why. . ." I said trying to follow the voice as it circled around me.

"I'm afraid you might be frightened by my appearance, so many are. And I find it quite hurtful" the voice said dropping down in a sharp tone at the end.

For some reason I turned my back to where the voice was coming from. Their tone seemed trust worthy, and if they wanted to hurt me they would have done it by now.

I waited to hear the sound of leaves crunching or the soft sound of the dirt being scuffed but I never did instead I watched as everything went dark.