Chapter 12

Zion Sullivon

I saw a grave expression spread all over Silas's face. He seemed disappointed and vexed. He looked at me and signaled me to talk to him alone.

"We'll be right back.", I told Valentino. He nodded.

I got out of my room and went to the backyard, where Silas was standing. He was smoking a cigar. He only smokes when he's extremely stressed.

"What happened back in there?"  I asked.

"Ms. Quinn was found dead, this morning, in her room.", he said not looking at me.

"WHAT?", I yelled. She was one of our prime witnesses. She could have told her experience with Mr. Odgen in court. She could have been served justice and Odgen could have gotten the punishment he deserved. With the prime witness out of the way, bailing him would be a piece of cake. I was frustrated and extremely infuriated. I was disappointed in myself. I promised Ms Quinn that I would keep her safe. I failed.

"How did it happen?", I asked.

"She died of overdosage is what they think. Her forensic report would confirm it.", he said.

"Did the signs match with you know..."

"No. It didn't match with the drug we are dealing with."

"She was most definitely murdered. She was too afraid to die. There's no way she would take her own life like this!", I said.

"Seems like it though. She must have been pressurized and felt too threatened so she gave up.", he said.

"No. That's not possible. The fear in her eyes were real. The fear was of someone who feared death. She feared facing death, she wanted to live goddammit! How could I let this happen!", I protested.

"We need to go and check the scene before the body gets taken away for post mortem.", he said.

"You stay here. It's your daughter's birthday. Your wife needs you here.", I said.

"But—"

"No buts. I'll go there by myself and keep you updated via message.", I said.

"Ugh Fine.", he said as he sighed in defeat.

I went back to the room where Valentino and Rosa were in.

"So how did it go?", he asked with concern.

"Not good.", I said.

"Oh"

"Can you uh give me a ride? I need to leave immediately.", I said.

"Now? We didn't even get to have dinner yet!", he said.

"Fine I am calling a cab.", I said walking out the door.

"Wait!", he said running upto me."Where are we heading to?", he asked.

"Seacoast Avenue."

The entire ride to Isla's apartment was silent. Thank God he understood the gravity of the situation and did not make stupid remarks.

"We are here.", he said. I looked up to see, sirens blaring, red and blue lights everywhere.

I got off the car. "It's best if you leave now.", I said.

"But, this place...it's..."

"I know. Only authorized people will be allowed to visit. I need document this for my journal. So please...", I insisted.

"I won't leave you here alone.", he said sternly.

"I am not a kid! I can take care of myself.", I said slightly vexed. I mean come on, I trained for seven years now,have five badges,solved 42 cases. I can very much take care of myself.