Family Bonding

The delectable scents of various delicacies waffled through the air, along with the refreshing scent of tea, and... milk.

A father and his daughters sat opposite each other enjoying a peaceful family bonding; or at least, that's how it was supposed to be...

"I'm sure that the two of you aren't mute, so speak."

"..." "..." But we didn't comply.

"Well, this is boring." The emperor leans back while crossing both his limbs.

"Athy, can talk." Her survival instincts flared up as Athanasia finally spoke.

"Finally, how about you?" His gaze landed on me who seems to be in my own world.

Seeing that her sister is currently courting death, Athanasia decided to save her. "Amy! You're dozing off again."

My mind returned to the present as my cheeks are pinched, "...That hurts."

I look at my assailant and saw a subtle hint of guilt intertwined with resolve, and glanced at my surroundings. Immediately, I understood the situation.

So, I apathetically stared at the emperor, " Um, hi?" I absentmindedly said, which made my sister facepalm herself.

"..."

"Pardon me, your majesty, but girls at the  princesses' age tends to be shy."

At this moment, Felix truly lives up to his title as a knight. Like in a fairytale, he has valiantly tried to save us, maidens, from the unreasonable tyrant that was our father.

The emperor scoffed as he retorted, "Shy? When one of them seems so chatty to her sister earlier, while the other had the audacity to pull my hair and remained unrepentant to it. Not to mention, how they're acting right now."

Well, sorry about that.

The red head stuttered as he spoke, "B-but, your majesty, they're still children."

"Leave." The piercing gaze of the emperor left no room for objections.

The brave knight tried to reason with the tyrant yet we can't forget that they are originally a subordinate and a superior; and so, not wanting to lose his job, Felix left.

How tragic...

After Felix left, I decided to eat a cake along with my sister.

"Do you like it?" The emperor suddenly asked as he continued, "I don't know what children likes but-" his words became a bit ominous, " if it is unsatisfactory, the chefs would need to be punished."

How nice of you to cater to our wants.

"Do you know what your names means?" The emperor gazes sharply as he asked again but in a cold tone.

Seriously, it felt more like I'm in an interview rather than a tea party.
To answer his questions; yes, I know that only heirs are supposed to carry names related to immortality and everlasting, and it was only the emperor who has the right to name one. In our case, our mother naming us with such names have made us heirs to the throne; and since there's only one royal seat, we would have to either defeat or make the other give up her rights to the throne. In other words, our dying mother broke a very important law and just gave us a legitimate reason to fight each other. Though, it's a pity; but, I have no interest on becoming an empress.

'It's troublesome...'

Despite the power that comes with it, the cons already made it unattractive to me who doesn't like troublesome things. As the saying goes, "With great power, comes with great responsibility," and I don't want to deal with unwanted attentions and heavy responsibilities. I know that I'm a princess and I will soon deal with such troublesome things, but the title of Empress is heavier than my current role.

Oh, I dozed off again...

______________________________________

A new unedited chapter has come out, and I bet I'm gonna regret posting this again.