"No!" Even at his anger-filled, dismayed shout, MK couldn't bring himself to move.

The creature, uncaring of their plight, twisted again into three more figures MK didn't recognize, landing on a bird demon with large wings and a razor-sharp spear that chuckled darkly, voice distorted the same way the others had been. 

"Some monsters never change." MK just about made out what it was saying, a war cry leaving the creature as it struck down, and Mei darted forwards when she saw that Wukong was simply staring at the incoming attack with wide eyes. 

"I've got your back!" The girl yelled out as she blocked the blow with her sword, green sparks burning from the effort and she gritted her teeth when her foot slid backward slightly, yelling out as she pushed forward again against the giant spear, her eyes narrowed in furry. 

"Dragon girl!" MK saw Red Son reach for Mei as the sound of cracking filled the air, the girl gasping as her eyes flickered down off the creature and onto her sword, watching with horror as cracks spread like spiderwebs along the blade. Then, with another push from the ink monster, it shattered, a cry leaving her lips as she was forced back by the blow and into Wukong's arms who had caught her before she could fall. 

"No." She whispered, her hands wrapped around the broken hilt of her sword and her eyes wide with grief. 

"We- we need to find a way to close the scroll." Wukong started saying only to look down at Mei and gasp, everyone else freezing in horror at the black mark on her chest that she hadn't noticed till then, slowly growing in size. 

"Sorry guys." She muttered and MK stopped breathing as she looked over at him, her expression sorrowful as just as suddenly as she was there, she wasn't, consumed by ink and slipping right through Wukong's fingers and into the ground, absorbed by the scroll.

Heartbeat loud in his ears MK stared, unable to accept what he'd just watched, unable to understand that his best friend was gone. He didn't even know if they could get them back. Why was he living a nightmare? Why was everything going all wrong? 

He didn't even have time to think as laughs echoed in the room from the creature, shifting into an elephant with a horned hammer and slamming it down on the ground. Wukong darted back to MK's side before he could be hit, Red Son following suit as the three stared at the thing. 

"What do we do now?" Red Son asked, voice higher than it normally was and MK clutched onto Wukong's clothes as he edged closer, staring at the thing not too far away from them as it turned to face them, twisting and splitting into thousands of reaching arms. 

"We get out of here, come on!" Wukong had both Red Son and MK's wrists in his hands as he darted forward out of another strike, pulling them with him as he made a dash for the exit to the room only to have hands slam down at them from above, the immortal just having time to throw them both to the side and out of the way as it descended.

Mk screamed as he went flying, slamming into a pile of artifacts and hearing Red Son land near him, immediately scrambling to his feet just to see Wukong covered in black ink, only his eyes and his pained grimace in colour.

"NO!" MK's shriek echoed in the room, the creature turning its gaze on him just as Baba fell to his knees, blackness creeping over his cheeks. 

"I'm sorry MK-" Was all he managed to get out before his face was consumed by the ink too and his expression went blank as his eyes glowed an eerie, empty blue. 

MK choked on another cry as Wukong sank into the ink, his legs and arms trembling as the creature faced him, unable to move. 

"Run, Monkey boy! Don't just stand there!" He heard Red yell as he was pulled backward and out of the way of a swiping hand, the demon keeping him close as his tail lashed out behind him.