Chapter Two

Will.

Will was there.

I sprinted towards him, throwing my arms over his shoulders.  He nearly fell backwards, but he was too strong for that.  Too trained.  William Kidd would never fall.  "I thought you were dead."

He laughed and my heart twisted.  "C'mon, Cap," he said, his grin still outlining his words.  That smooth grin that I had spent so much time missing.  "You'd never let that happen."

He'd said it like it was a joke, even though nothing about it was funny.  "No.  No you're right.  I wouldn't—I missed you.  I missed you so much," I said into his shirt.  He was exactly the same height as before, feeling just as warm with his arms wrapped around me as he always had.  I couldn't muster up more than a shaky breath as I said it again, relieved to finally be able to tell him.  "God, I missed you."

"I'm sorry," he said and all I wanted to do was tell him not to apologize.  That everything was okay, just as long as he was here.  As long as he promised never to leave again.  "I'm sorry, Cap."

I shook my head, unable to get another word out.  Even when we were together, he was still so distant.  I tried my best to ignore the separation, but it was there, demanding to be noticed, miles and miles—no.  Years.  There were so many years between the two of us, pulling us apart even as he pulled me in tighter.

When he said those words again, ice sliced through my spine.  "I'm sorry."

Everything felt so familiar.  His words.  His shaking shoulders.  His desperation.  I had been here before.  I had lived this nightmare already.

As I pulled away, something splashed across my calves and I looked to my feet.  The planks were soaked, but not with water.  No.  Blood was once again smeared across Dock Twelve.  Dock Twelve.  What were we doing at Dock Twelve?

I lost my footing on the wet wood and used my hands to catch myself.  God, there was so much blood, still warm against my skin.  Who's was it?  Something in my gut told me that it wasn't his.  Not this time.

My reflection stared back at me and I leaned over the dock to get a better look.  The sun was only just starting to stretch across the sky, night still making its claim to a fair share of the heavens, but even still, I saw it.  The blade of the knife kissed the sunrise as I turned, piercing me from back to front, straight through my heart.

The familiar burn of my spliced shoulder returned, accompanied by the sudden awareness that I couldn't breathe.  I couldn't breathe.

Ripples rounded their way across the surface of the river, erasing my second self from existence, but it wasn't the steady drip of water that had caused them.  No.  It was more blood.  My blood, staining my skin and soaking my clothes, dripping into the river and drenching the dock until it was impossible to keep from slipping.

I felt the splash as I hit water, but then I couldn't feel anything.  My mind was screaming, instinct taking over.  Kick.  Scream.  Live.  Try to stay afloat and—god, I couldn't breathe.

As I sunk, water filled my lungs and squeezed my chest, killing me both inside and out.  I tried calling out for help, but nothing came except for a rush of bubbles and even more fear.   That's the thing about drowning.  No one can hear you once you've gone under.

Someone's arms locked around me, pinning me down, but I kept kicking, knowing that I had to break free and swim.  That I had to find air.  "Hey, hey, hey.  Easy there, Mags.  Easy."

Sinking.  I was sinking.  At least, I thought I was, but then I started to hear my own screams.

The arms were still around me.  I couldn't swim.  I couldn't fight.  Control.  I didn't have any control.  I needed help.  Please, someone help.