Chapter 10

Zion Sullivon

After the encounter with Mr. Parasite this morning, I decided to get back to my dorm and get ready for work. I was quite early to work today, only to see Boss already at his desk, surfing through some papers.

"Good Morning Boss", I greeted him.

"Hmm Good Morning. Your performance is remarkable as always. Hope your team carries this vigour till the very end.", he said still looking through the files.

"Thank You!", I said cheerfully, and went to my work desk. Getting a compliment from our boss is really a big deal. He doesn't really chit-chat with us much, but he cares a lot. He is the eldest in our team and looks after all of us. I mean who the fuck arranges a dorm for their employee when they are somewhere in some random park crying over a break-up. Okay maybe I should get to work.

I saw that Aarvi had already mailed me the necessary informations regarding the victims. Many of them didn't have a home, or any immediate family. Among the victims, a guy named Edward seemed to have an elder sister, Teressa and another guy named Geronimo had a wife named Paris. I will be paying them a visit soon.

In another email, she had mailed me some informations regarding Sunset Medicines. They had been supplying medics, working under them to the Tempo company. And not only Tempo, many different sports companies as well. Interesting.

Last but not least, Hera informed me that through her connections, she found out that the drug in the forensic report of the victims matched with Odgen. The only difference was the dosage. However, the immediate cure and actual effect of the drug is still unknown. All I can do is observe a pattern in the victims as well as the people who have evidently used the drug.  I can only record it after talking to the families of the victims.

"Hey Good Morning!", Silas greeted me.

"Good morning!", I greeted back.

"So, how much did you proceed with the case?"

"Not much. All I got to know is that many agencies have collaborations with the Sunset Medicines company. Also, I received the info that the drug Odgen had taken, matched with the drug used on the victims. Just a difference in dosage.", I said.

"Hmm that means the people selling these drugs know exactly how it works and the sufficient dosage needed for different needs.", he stated.

"But if they know what the drug would do and are aware of the dosage requirements, then why did they try it on those poor victims? If they already know the effects and dangers, why do they need to test it on humans? It would just call for more trouble.", I asked wondering, what could the main aim of the drug dealer be.

"Earlier, you mentioned that you observed a certain pattern regarding the people involved in the usage of this drug.", he said.

"Yes reddened eyes, violence, and the FDA scientists associated with our branch informed that overdosage of this drug makes a person act inhuman...", I said.

Silas snapped his fingers and looked at me exhuberantly. "Maybe just earning profits from selling the drugs to the athletes isn't the main aim. Maybe, the said culprit, Fisher has something huge up his sleeves! As boss had mentioned, he is trying to take over all the black business going in here. If the drug's overdosage gives someone an inhuman level of power, imagine what that person can do! Maybe he is just increasing the dosage and testing it on humans to see if they are compatible enough. It could be some sort of sick mutation, you know what I am saying.", Silas said.

My jaw dropped. I was impressed, amazed and God knows what. "Oh my God you are a genius! If these genes cause mutation and alter the DNA as such, it could have both positive and negative effects. The ones who can adapt to it lives, others face death. Which leads to the conclusion, Survival of the fittest.", I said rhapsodically.

"I love you bro", I said pulling him in a hug.

"Me too bro!", he said returning the hug.

"It's too early for you idiots to be goofing around.", Aarvi said as she walked past us and went to her work desk. Well she better watch who she's calling an idiot 'cause Silas here just summed up the entire case!

We quickly went to Boss and explained him our theory. He was quite impressed, himself. But the only thing was that all these were our assumptions and we didn't have solid proof. All we needed were evidences to prove our theory. And might as well catch Fisher in the process.

Silas, was super happy today. One, it was his daughter's birthday, Two, we had reached a huge turning point of our case.

Soon, it was evening. Silas had to leave early to make necessary arrangements for the birthday party. I went to my dorm and took out a blue tux from my closet. I put on a blue tie, put some gel on my hair and styled it and waited for Silas to arrive in front of the Cafe.

After a few minutes I received a text from Silas.

I am so sorry. Things got a bit crazy in here. I might not be able to pick you up. Again, I am really sorry! :(

Man having kids can be hectic, I guess. I texted him "It's fine" and proceeded to call a cab.

"Wow you look absolutely dashing today.", I heard someone say. I didn't even need to see to know who it was.

"So where are headed to? I could give you a ride.", Rhodes offered. "Well, thanks for the offer but I wouldn't wanna bother you.", I said decisively.

"As if? You wouldn't bother me one bit!", he said.

"Don't you have work?"

"As a matter of fact, I just got off my work and now I have plenty of time to spare.", he said.

"Haha well I don't, so I'll just book a cab.", I said.

"It appears to me that you don't want to let me give you a ride and are just making silly excuses. I mean are you hearing yourself?", he said.

"Am I?", I asked cockily.

"There's only one way to settle this.", he said.

"Exactly! You go your way, I go my—"

"With a coin!", he said.

Hell no! Last time we tried this, I lost and he got his way with me. Not again.

"Well I think it's stupid. It's just gonna waste my time even more. I could have just booked a cab and reached there by now.", I grumbled.

"Are you afraid that you might lose like last time?", he said smug smile. This man knows how to pull my strings. He is dangerous.

"Who said I was? You know what? Toss that damn thing!", I said.

"Fine. Heads, I wait here till the cab arrives, Tails, I drive you there, myself."

"Wait that's not—", he didn't let me finish and tossed his coin.

"Hmm, seems like I will be doing the honour of driving you to your destination.", he said.

Why do I keep losing goddammit!

"A deal's a deal, remember.", he said by mimicking me from the last time we played this shitty game.

"Fine! I wasn't going to back off either ways.", I said frustrated, as I got in the car and took the front seat beside him.

"So, where are we off to?"

"Brickfield Llanwonno street", I said.