|| Chapter 8 ||

In the dimly lit expanse of his office, which his staff endearingly dubbed "the den," Reyansh Raghuvanshi sat in contemplation

In the dimly lit expanse of his office, which his staff endearingly dubbed "the den," Reyansh Raghuvanshi sat in contemplation. The room, with its black walls and dark brown borders, exuded an aura of authority and power, much like its occupant. For Reyansh, the office was a sanctuary, a place where he could reign supreme without any interference.

As he leaned back in his chair, Reyansh's mind churned with conflicting thoughts about the events of the day.

"Was it a mistake to agree to this marriage?""Why is she so immature, so infuriating?""How am I supposed to tolerate her presence without losing my sanity?"

Lost in his musings, Reyansh barely noticed the timid entrance of his PA, Ansh. Ansh hesitated, unsure of how to disturb his boss, who was known for his aversion to interruptions.

"Sir," Ansh began tentatively, his voice barely above a whisper.

Reyansh opened his eyes, fixing Ansh with a steely gaze.

"Speak," he commanded, his tone devoid of warmth.

Ansh swallowed nervously before relaying Dhruv Kapoor's interest in a business deal. Reyansh's response was curt and to the point: "Tomorrow, 10 AM. He'll be here."

As Ansh hurriedly left the room, Reyansh's frustration simmered beneath the surface. "What am I going to do?"

Just then, the door creaked open, and Reyansh's chachi, Samaya, entered with a steel tiffin box in hand. Reyansh's expression softened slightly at the sight of her.

"Chachi, what's this?" he asked, a hint of curiosity in his voice.

Samaya grinned as she placed the tiffin box on his desk. "Your breakfast, Reyansh. You can't keep skipping meals like this."

Reyansh sighed, feeling a mixture of gratitude and irritation. He preferred to handle things on his own, without anyone's interference.

"That wasn't necessary, Chachi," he muttered, his tone betraying his discomfort.

But Samaya was undeterred. "Nonsense, Reyansh. You need to take care of yourself," she scolded gently, making him sit down to eat.

As Reyansh reluctantly began to eat, Samaya couldn't resist bringing up the topic of his new wife, Piyali. She knew it would rile him up, and she relished the opportunity to plant seeds of discord.

Putting a sad face, she uttered "I never imagined my Reyansh will leave home without having breakfast. That was the only one left now that too happened."

Reyansh stared at her blankly. Samya continued placing the sets of boxes consisting of Dosas and chutney without looking at him.

"What happened after I left ?" Reyansh asked seriously.

Samya smirked. "That girl spoke against Maa when she simply scolded since you left without having food. Maa just told her to go the room, but no, Maharan started yelling at our ma for food. We were shocked Reyansh beta. Till now no one has raised their tongue to speak against the great Rani Raghuvanshi and now look, some ill-mannered girl did it. She doesn't have any license on her tongue, just yelling without knowing whom she is speaking to."

Reyansh's fist turned pale on hearing Piyali's behaviour against his daadi. Samaya smiled in satisfaction.

"Reyansh, I am telling you. You should teach that girl a lesson. Otherwise tomorrow she will be dancing on our heads." Samay warned.

Reyansh nodded tersely, his mind already concocting plans for retribution. Samaya smiled to herself, satisfied that she had succeeded in stoking his anger.

In Reyansh's bedroom, Piyali was busy with her work. She was so fully concentrated on the work that she scolded the poor hair that fell from the bun. Her eyes twinkled as it came to completion.

She slowly jumped from the bed and ran to the centre of the room.

"Wow...it looks soooo beautiful." Piyali exclaimed staring at the bed where she made her artwork proudly.

Yes, the great Reyansh Raguvanshi's bed is now designed with flowers, butterflies and pigs. The pigs were specially dedicated by Piyali to her husband.

"That bull will appreciate me for making his stupid dull white bed colourful. I mean who will sleep on a plain bed ?. He will be bored na. Now he can sleep peacefully watching my creation; the pink flowers, blue butterflies and of course the piggies." She giggled loudly, staring at the pigs with big nostrils.

Piyali is someone who hates dullness. She has painted the walls of her bedroom; and bed covers with pictures of her favourite flowers and animals to make them bright. Also, she had done the same in her parents, brother's and Tammanna's bedroom. Sighing, she glanced at her hands which got dirty with the paints.

"Ewww...it looks no less than a shit..yuckyy." Piyali gagged and rushed to the washroom to clean her hands.

Doing her business, she came out and again gazed at her creation lovingly.

She then thought about Reyansh. "Hmmm..will that bull gift me something? Why not, I made his bed more pretty."

She pouted and sat on the couch. She then rolled her eyes around the room and whined. "I am getting bored. If I was home, I would be playing with Tammy and the padosee bacche."

She glanced at the clock and glared seeing the time. "It's only 12. That bull will come in the evening. Till then what will I do? If I go down that witch will kill or will tell me to cook...NO WAY. I WON'T COOK."

"Let's sleep for a while. I have to surprise the bull right." Piyali chirped excitedly and lay on the couch and within few seconds the room started filling with snores.

Reyansh stormed into his home with an air of palpable anger, his steps echoing off the polished floors. His unexpected early return caught everyone off guard, and his mother's smile faltered as she noted his demeanor. Samya ran to her bedroom to make sure that no one doubted her. 

"Where is she?" Reyansh's voice cut through the tension like a knife, his tone icy and demanding.

Nandini's heart sank at her son's harsh words, and she exchanged worried glances with the rest of the family, who gathered around in confusion.

"What's going on, Reyansh?" Nandini asked, her voice tinged with concern.

"Where is that substitute woman?" Reyansh's words dripped with contempt, causing a collective gasp from his family. Nandini's heart broke at the derogatory term he used to refer to Piyali, making her question the wisdom of the hastily arranged marriage.

Rani Raghuvanshi, the matriarch of the family, stepped forward with a steely resolve. "Your wife is in your room, Reyansh," she stated firmly, her gaze unwavering.

Reyansh's jaw clenched at her words, his frustration simmering beneath the surface. He approached his grandmother and bowed his head in a rare display of deference, a silent acknowledgement of her authority.

"Daddi, I've heard about what happened," Reyansh confessed, his voice low and controlled.

Rani Raghuvanshi's eyes flashed with indignation. "No one has ever dared to disrespect me in my own home," she declared, her tone conveying both outrage and disappointment. Reyansh's family members averted their gaze, unable to bear the weight of her disappointment.

"I'll handle it, Daddi. I won't let her get away with it," Reyansh vowed, his determination evident.

Nandini watched her son's resolve with a heavy heart, grappling with a mix of emotions. She exchanged a pained glance with her husband, Randhir, silently acknowledging their shared regret over the situation.

Reyansh turned to his family, his expression hardened with anger. "This is my mistake, not yours. I should never have agreed to marry that insolent, stubborn girl," he declared bitterly.

Nandini's eyes filled with tears at her son's harsh words, feeling the weight of her culpability. She had promised Piyali's family that they would take care of her, but now she feared they had made a grave mistake.

She silently lamented the fact that an angel like Piyali could never change the devil that was Reyansh Raghuvanshi. In that moment, she realized the painful truth: an angel could never coexist with a devil, and no one could change the devil himself.