Chapter 1

I've always wondered what a life of an adventure would be like. Living in a wagon fields for miles and miles watching a creek's water move through it, water that has ran through the creek for centuries. Seeing animals that have walked this earth for centuries and the earth being their home just walking and walking and stopping when they're tired them waking up and walking some more, My family was looking for a homestead to start a cattle ranch. We were in Texas at the moment but it was just me my mom and dad and my little brother he was 7 and I was 17. My mothers name was Mary and my fathers was James my little brother was named John and mine was Elsa. We had our team of horses to pull the wagon my horse and my dads. We weren't poor but we weren't rich.
My mom was a kind soul she was a lady and trying to teach me the same thing. Elsa's pov: one morning I awoke from my sleep to my mom from the front of the wagon that were stopping in town before our next journey.
Mary: Elsa please don't wonder off, I'm just going into the shops to trade.
Elsa: I won't. Can I go get me and John soda water
Mary:I suppose but don't be long and take your brother
Elsa: come on John
John:where are we going
Elsa: gonna go find some soda water.
Elsa's POV
As I walked I felt eyes on me, it wasn't natural for a 17 year old girl and a 7 year old boy walking through town without parents or without a husband. Your suppose to be married before having children so I wonder if that's why they're looking at me I was snapped out of my thoughts by a man yelling at another man. I just held Johns hand and held him a little closer. I'm not use to town we don't get out of the wagon but since I'm gonna be 18 in a month so they had no choice to keep me in the wagon.
John:I think that's where we get soda water.
James POV
I was walking through the town into the bank and I saw around 20 to 30 immigrants and two other cowboys. The immigrants looked lost and confused, one of the cowboys walked up to me.
Cowboy: how are you doing
James:I'm doing okay, what's going on.
Cowboy:I'm shea, well they wanna go to Oregon, better lifestyle there more mines more gold. Were looking for cowboys to herd our cattle, Are you interested?
James: Oregon you said, We're headed to Montana.
Shea: We pay.
James: No I don't want your money. We need cattle
Shea: We can make an arrangement. How many are you looking for.
James: around 30 to 40
Shea: well we're moving about 20 and picking up more on the way.
James: so when we get to Oregon we just leave them there
Shea: I'm hoping by the time we get there they have enough life skills to survive.
James: that's 6 months. Do they speak English
Shea: the one does the rest non
James: alright. You have a deal
Shea: we're short on cowboys to herd cattle. Do you have any?
James: I got one
Shea: alright we leave in the morning.
James: when we leave here we're gonna be in Indian territory.
Shea: we've thought about that, as long as we pay tax to let the cattle graze and drink they're water we shouldn't have a problem.
James: okay we can meet here tomorrow
Shea: yes sir
James POV
I was walking back to the wagon when I got there my family was there. I was trying to figure out how I could tell my wife this.
James: kids go get some more soda water (hands them a $0.1)
Mary: they've already had some they don't need anymore
James: it's okay. I need to talk to you alone
Mary: alright what is it
James: we're gonna tag along with these cowboys
Mary: what
James: they're taking 30 immigrants to Oregon. They're gonna pay us with cattle. We leave in the morning.
Mary: doesn't sound like your asking my permission.
James: bc I'm not, this is the start of our cattle ranch.
Mary: Okay
Elsa's POV
I heard mom and dad talking about traveling with immigrants and getting cattle in return we went and got our soda water and we're walking back to the wagon when a man stopped us.
Man: what's a young lady like you walking in town alone.
Elsa: I'm not alone I have my brother
Man: why don't you go find your mommy little boy
Elsa: he isnt going anywhere I don't go
John: can we go back now
Elsa: yes John. If you don't mind sir we have to get back
Elsa POV
We walked back to the wagon and started moving away from the town and set up camp for the night