One shot 19x20

„Do you, want to come in, for a coffee?" Nick asked in between kissing, smiling brightly at her. He had been longing for this for over two months now and after he had almost died today he just wanted to feel her, to kiss her, to love her.

"The kids." She said a little defeatedly. "I have to go home." she added but he could hear from her voice that she wanted to stay. "Are you okay?" he asked her a little concerned. He had noticed it this morning in the lab already. She looked tired and honestly a little sickly, pale.

"I might have just blown up my entire career just because I couldn't keep my mouth shut for a few minutes." She said, laughing a little helplessly. "You told them?" he asked a little surprised. "Yeah. This man, one of the funders, he- told me about his mother who got recently diagnosed with Alzheimer's and I-" she started, looking down at the floor. "I just- I just saw my mother." She continued, looking up at him with slightly watery eyes. "I had to tell those people about what I found out and if they think I'm crazy I'm still not going to stop with my research." She said, smiling sadly.

Nick didn't really know what to say. He was- impressed but also worried. "You wouldn't be you if you would keep your mouth shut. And you wouldn't be you if you wouldn't keep going." He just said, making her smile. "And- are you okay you- you said you almost died today." She then asked, a little concerned now as well. "This isn't a story for tonight I don't want you to have a nightmare. I'll tell you tomorrow. All that matters is that I'm alive and I'm here, and I can kiss you." He said reassuringly, not wanting her to worry all night about what could have happened on that plane, especially with that history she had with planes.

She just nodded, leaning in to kiss him one more time. And all of the sudden she took a step closer and hugged him, holding him as close as possible as he did the same. "We can't let this happen a third time okay?" she said, joking, but he knew that she meant it. "We won't. We'll make this work." He told her, holding her close while still holding her letter in his hand. He couldn't help but smile. Somehow this whole letter under the hotel room door thing had become their thing.

"Promise me that when you get home you'll sleep and not think about your research, only for one night. I can see that you haven't slept properly in days." He said after they had let go of each other again. She just nodded- telling him nonverbally that she wouldn't be able to stop thinking about her research, especially not after she had just risked everything.

"Okay, I'll see you tomorrow?" she asked, looking at him with a slight smile. "Of course." He replied, smiling back at her. "You could have breakfast with me and the kids if you want. And I'll make sure Michael won't be there." She said, making him chuckle. "I'd love to have breakfast with you and the kids." He gave back, kissing her one last time. "Good night Mer."

"Good night Nick."

thoughts about the finale?