Chapter One

Erica Trensi lay under a tree, flipping the pages in her book. It was one of her favorites, a biography of her grandfather. While a biography might seem boring, this particular one was the opposite.

Erica's grandfather was the King of Trensicourt. Before he'd become king, he had had many grand adventures, during his campaign to overthrow Lyrian's old emperor, the wizard Maldor. Erica's parents, Corinne and Jason, the duke and duchess of Caberton, had played key roles in the emperor's demise.

Erica had none of the same talent as her family. She was the daughter of the Duke of Caberton, yes, and her mother was the heir to the throne of Trensicourt - but all that meant was that she got to have lots of nice expectations. They weren't put on her by her family, but by society. Her family had destroyed the nearly indestructible Maldor.

Society expected Erica to do the same - or at least do something world-changing.

And she wanted to change the world.

She just had no idea how.

Yes, she was good with a sword. Yes, she could create fire out of air using an Edomic command. Yes, she could communicate telepathically with her mother and grandfather. But so? She was still relatively normal.

And she was a kid.

That was probably the biggest problem. She was thirteen–how was she supposed to do anything amazing?

Erica sighed. She'd read the biography in her hand a thousand times and knew what would happen next. There were better things to do with her time.

She left her book under the tree and started toward her house, but not until she heard a voice call out, "Lady Erica!"

Erica frowned, then glanced over her shoulder to see who had called. "Starling?" she asked, surprised. Her family's stablemaster didn't usually talk to her voluntarily, let alone come find her.

The young man nodded. "Your family sent me to find you. There is a visitor you should meet."

"Who?" Erica asked him.

"I don't know, my lady. That was all Lord Jason said."

Erica nodded. "Thank you, Starling." She started back toward the tree to grab her book and then noticed that Starling hadn't left.

Right. She was supposed to dismiss him. Why could she never remember formal protocols like that?

"You can–you may–go," she told Starling, who nodded and left, looking relieved.

Erica watched him go. Did he not like her for some reason? None of the other servants acted afraid of her. She sighed, picked up her book, and raced off toward the Caberton mansion.