𝙨𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙣𝙩𝙮 𝙨𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙣.

Start from the beginning

Anna didn't answer her, just continued down the dock before lowering herself down next to Charlotte.

"Mom," Charlotte groaned, lifting her head from her hands to fix her mother with a less-than-pleased expression, "I told you I'll—"

"It's not mom." Came a voice, one that Charlotte had to resist rolling her eyes at. 

"Oh," The older girl grumbled, focusing back out on the water, "It's you."

Kiara scoffed, lowering herself down on the dock next to her sister, "You still not talkin' to me, Charley?"

"Isn't that what we're doing right now, Kiara? Talking?"

True enough, Charlotte had barely said three words to her sister since their return to the Outer Banks. Deep down, she knew she should forgive her sister, or at least have a conversation with her. But a large part of Charlotte needed to have control over something, and arguing with her sister seemed to be a way that she could feel like she had some grasp over her own damn life, as silly as that sounded.

Unbothered by her sister's attitude, Kiara focused on the sun that was high in the sky, "You get why I did it, right?" She wondered, squinting under the harsh light. "I did it to protect you...not to be malicious."

Charlotte was quiet for a moment, a lump forming in her throat as she shrugged, "I guess." She finally answered. "But it was still a dick move."

Kiara couldn't stop the laugh that fell from her lips as she finally turned to face her sister, "You're an ass."

In similar fashion, Charlotte couldn't stop the smile that crept across her own lips. "Says you."

A silence fell between them for a moment, both of their smiles fading slightly as the events of the past few days really set in. They needed each other right now, no matter how badly they denied it. 

"I thought you were supposed to be at JJ's?" Charlotte finally broke the silence, wanting to hear about her sister's love life, as if to distract her from her own. 

"Yeah," Kiara breathed, "He basically told me to fuck off."

"What?" Charlotte wondered, unable to find the point where the animosity rose between JJ and Kiara. 

Shrugging, Kiara tried to hide the hurt on her face, "Something set him off." She answered, "I don't know what, but he's...he's—"

"Self-sabotaging." Charlotte finished, finally putting the pieces together, "As JJ so often does."

"You think?" Kiara wondered. 

"He's being JJ." Charlotte answered. "Just give him some time. He'll come around."

"So, what, just sit around and wait until he's ready?" Kiara challenged. 

Charlotte's answer was to the point, "Not sure what else you want me to say, Kie."

Kiara sighed, pressing her lips into a firm line. "This is all so fucked."

A humourless laugh fell from Charlotte's lips as she nodded. "You're telling me....mom's making me go to therapy."

Kiara's head whipped toward her sister, "Seriously?"