10

After his weird attack during their date at home, Minho had gotten a little extra protective. He stood in front of fire alarms at school and blew out candles if they somehow managed to be near one. Jisung thought it was cute but at the same time ridiculous. He had spent nine years fighting his traumas. They popped up once in a while, sure, but Jisung was a lot better at forcing them away. Especially when he had such a perfect person to lose himself in. Minho was everything to him now and that was pretty scary as they had only been officially dating for two months. Those other starter dates counted, he guessed. And all the time Minho had spent watching him from afar. 

"What should we do for our third month?" Minho asked, swinging their hands together as they walked through the streets of Manhattan. 

"Do couples celebrate their third month?" Jisung quizzed, eyebrows furrowed as he debated it with himself. 

Minho lifted Jisung's hand and pressed a kiss on the back of it. "Every day with you should be celebrated. But that's too much work so instead, we'll just celebrate every month." 

"Somehow you made it sound good and bad at the same time," the hero whispered. Their hands detached as Minho spotted something cool in a store window. Jisung watched him coo at the cat in the small bookstore. 

"When we get older I wanna run a place like this. Books and cats. We can make coffee in the mornings and eat cheesecake and we'll cuddle up watching cringey movies." 

Jisung chuckled at Minho's words. "That sounds great, baby. Now, if you are done staring at the cat like its your tinder date and you've fallen head over heels, can you pay me, your actual boyfriend, some attention?" 

Minho complained with a whine but nevertheless moved away from the window. Jisung was going to continue walking but his ears picked up something loud falling and crashing into something else. It didn't sound like a car. "Minho, come here for a second," he said, grabbing his boyfriend's hand. He started speed-walking down the sidewalk, then ended up releasing Minho's hand and sprinting when he heard a scream. His eyes widened as he skidded to a stop, a building of flames taking up his entire attention.

"Jisung, let's go," Minho said gently, taking his hand and pulling him away from the image.

Jisung stumbled back, flashes of his mom and the fire he'd been in years ago swirling around inside his head. He wanted to go home and take a cold shower. He tightened his hand around Minho's and took a deep breath. He followed him down the street.

"Mommy!" Jisung's feet planted firmly into the ground. "Daddy! No!"

Jisung pulled his hand away from Minho's and turned. Why was he running away when there were people in danger? Fears? Heroes didn't get to have those. He was angry at himself for even thinking of walking off. He was disgusted that he could take a step away from a crying child. A child that would end up like him—lonely and traumatized—if he didn't step in. That's why he became a hero. To help those who couldn't help themselves.

Minho grabbed his wrist and yanked him back. "Jisung you don't have to go in there."

Jisung looked into Minho's eyes and smiled as tears built up in his own. He knew, didn't he? He'd always known. Jisung peeled his hand off of him and pressed his wrists together, suit building up. "When you can do the things that I can, but you don't, and then the bad things happen, they happen because of you."

"What use are you going to be when you can barely handle a fire alarm?" Minho yelled, some tears of his own building up.

Jisung pointed his wrist toward the end of the street. "Heroes don't run," he said. He launched up and shot another web, yanking his body up and over to the roof. A summersault kept him from any injuries and he continued running to the edge of the building when he got to his feet. He jumped and shot a web at one of the windows that were broken, then pulled himself into the room it belonged to. Immediately he was met with a body that was decapitated.