The Search

They left and I was just stuck staring.

The waitress cleaning the table looked up at with a puzzled composure.
"Sir? Are you ok?" She asked me, taking a half step toward my frozen self.

Her words grasped me back into reality. I charged towards the doors and shoved her out of the way as I passed her without a care at all.

When I exited the small cafe, I stopped and leaned down. I picked up her glasses, which now had a crack in one of the lenses. I put them in my pocket and looked back up. "HANJI!!" I screamed out even though I knew she wouldn't respond. I ran my fingers halfway through my black locks then clenched my hands into fists. I wanted to pull my hair out. I could tell my eyes were wide as they skipped from road to road.

They went this way. I took a step forward then stopped. Or was it this way... I thought as I turned to another road. I was soon going to panic if I couldn't remember.

Then I saw it. Just what I needed.
There was a trail of dirt that was obviously formed by people stepping on it. The track helped me remember.

They went to the left.

I hopped onto my horse and rode it in the direction the dirt trail was going. There were moments where the trail started to fade and I worried I would lose it. There was also times the dirt was messed up more in a small area. I assumed those were times were Hanji resisted more and they had to stop her.
The thought of how much pain she was in was like a bullet to my head. I started to think of how her happy her smile made me, and of all the times she would try to cheer me up. All that did was make that bullet-hole infected. I needed to focus on finding her.

How far did they take her?
The tracks seemed to go on forever.

The sun was setting. I wiped off the sweat beads that formed on my forehead and looked up at the sky.

Crap. It's almost night. Why do you always have to get into trouble, Hanji?

I knew I had to keep looking for her through the night. I couldn't stop.

As I rode on some more, my head started to ache. My ears were ringing. I was sweating buckets but I was freezing at the same time.
I felt my forehead.

A fever. Great... Just great...

I tried to continue, but the ringing in my ears continued also. My face was flushed of its color. The temperature was dropping as the sun was lowering, which made me shiver more. My head felt like poison was injected into it. I couldn't focus.
I stopped my horse.
I massaged my temples with my thumb and middle finger and squeezed my eyes shut.
I then looked around.

I have to stop. If I'm gonna get into a fight for Hanji, I'm going to need to get some rest...
I decided to just knock on some doors and see if anyone was awake to let me in.

I got off the horse and approached a door. I knocked on the first house.

No response, so I knock again.

Silence. I let out a slight groan of frustration and continue to the next.
The cycle continued about 4 times until I reached this one house. It was very old and beaten up. The wooden boards that made it were decaying and falling apart. I went ahead and checked to see if anyone was inside anyway.
I knocked loudly.

Surprisingly, I heard footsteps. Quiet footsteps. The door creaked as it opened to reveal a little girl.

She was about seven inches shorter than me, making her around 4'8". Her light brown hair was pulled into two pigtail braids. She wore a light blue spring dress that was dirty and had a few holes in it. She held tightly onto a stuffed bunny that was also torn up. She stared at me with her blue eyes.