Chapter Thirty-One||Run, John

Chapter Thirty-One
Run, John

The group sat in the van infront of the police station as Pope hacked up a lung.

"Pope! Be quiet!" Stella whisper-yelled, in fear of people outside hearing them.

"Easy there, chief,"JJ told the boy before turning to John B. "All right. I'm just gonna be real with you right now. You might end up in the lions den, but you don't go there on purpose. It's fundamental. Just like my old man always told me, you should never ever trust cops, no matter what the circumstance is."

"Your old man's an abusive liar," Kiara told the boy.

"Yikes, Kie," Stella muttered.

"I agree with JJ. Fuck the police," Pope said angrily.

"You goin' to the dark side now?" Kiara asked the boy.

"When's the last time the police helped us?" Pope argued with Kiara as Stella sighed in annoyance.

"Peterkin looked out for me, all right?" John B told his friends. "Tried to, at least."

"I agree with John. She was a very nice lady," Stella said as she patted the boys arm.

"They need to know," John B murmured as he motioned to the police station with his head. After a discreet nod from Kiara, the boy slowly made his way out of the car.

"I have a horrible feeling about this," Stella said as she tightly gripped onto Popes hand.

"Kie! Start the car!" John Bs voice was heard and he ran into the car at full speed.

"What the fuck is happening!" Stella yelled as she looked around with wide eyes.

"What? John B?" Kiara asked in a frenzy as the boy made his way into the car and shit the door. "John B, what did you do?!"

The whole group was yelling in fear at the situation. Kiara started driving as a police officer tried to get the door to open.

"I'm sorry!" Kiara kept repeating to the lady even after she fell to the ground and they sped away.

There was a long silence in the car and Stella had so many questions running through her head all at once.

Stella took a deep breath and did what she never thought she would do; she prayed to the sky and hoped that everything would be alright.

•••

The Pogues spent the entire night in the van and Stella was an anxious wreck.

"Good news for the residents of the Outer Banks. Dominion Power says their underwater transmission line, which will restore power to 90% of the area should be functional within 24 hours," the broadcaster on the radio brought zero comfort to the group, especially since police cars were constantly zooming pass them. "And still, no arrest in the shooting death of Sheriff Susan Peterkin. The state police have issued a statement regarding a local person of interest, a juvenile from-" the broadcast was then turned off by an annoyed Kiara.

"Let's game this out," JJ started, being the first to say a word in hours. "Maybe you guys can help, being the smart ones and all, but... who are the cops going to believe? Ward Cameron or us?" JJ asked his friends as everyone silently listened to his rant. "So the accuser is a big shot developer, kind of lord of the island, got the governor on speed dial kind of person, and the accused... is John B, who is... pretty much a homeless 16-year-old boy at the moment."