Goodbye and Hello

A/N: 

Hey! I suck at this writing thing and I 100% know there are a lot of grammatical errors so please bare (bear??) with me. I haven't written in years, and I am finding that I have a lot of time on my hands now. I hope you enjoy! 

✾✾✾

           "You're really going? You can't just come and live with me? You know I have an extra bedroom, I really-" I gave my best friend the side eye, cutting her off.

           "We already talked about this Serena, I can't." I whispered. Tears filled her blue-green eyes as she sat on the edge of my bed. I watched as she looked away, hiding her face from me. I smiled sadly at her and walked over into the direction she was looking at. Our eyes met as a tear cascaded down her cheek. I wish I could stay. I wish I could forget everything that had happened last summer and I wish I could take her with me, but where I'm going I felt that I had to go alone.

            "You know I have to do this. I need to be with my family right now. I think it'll be good for me after-" I couldn't finish my sentence, but she knew what I was going to say. She bowed her head, wiping a stray tear.

          "I know. I just can't believe you're really leaving." Her eyes met mine, pleading with me not to leave. Tears welled up in my eyes as well. I couldn't stand watching my best friend of 10 years hurting. I thought back to when we were in fifth grade, the day we had first met. I had noticed a girl with long blonde hair sitting in the corner of our playground. A group of girls had approached her and even at 11 years old I knew they were trouble. I was relatively new in school at the time, but I watched them as they walked over to her and maliciously giggled into each other's ears as if they were telling some hilarious joke. I slowly walked over, eavesdropping.

            "Your mommy is a slut Serena,". One of them, I'm assuming is the "leader" of the group said, a twinkle in her eyes. I was curious, watching from afar but close enough to hear everything.

            "Shut up, Jade. You don't know anything!" The young Serena stated, standing up angrily. The girls laughed. There were about four or five of them, all surrounding Serena.

             "My daddy says your mom has that job because she's poor." The girl, Jade, taunted. I felt bad for this girl with the long blonde locks. The other girls surrounded her like lions hunting their prey.

            "Your daddy is the one paying her mom's bills." They all whipped their heads to look at me.

            "What did you just say?" Jade took a step towards me. She was angry, I could feel the anger roll off her in waves.

             "I said, your daddy is the one who pays her mom's bills. He probably goes to her work to see her and all the other women she works with. C'mon, it's no secret." I smirked. Shock crossed her face. She looked around at her group of friends accusingly. Some of them looked away, ashamed. Jade walked past me, hitting my shoulder with hers as she did so. Her lost dogs followed her trail. I looked at Serena who was already looking at me with wide eyes.

             "How did you know about her dad?" Serena asked, her eyes now lingering at the girls.

             "Being a nobody means that you're invisible. People talk a lot when they don't notice you're around. You just have to listen." I mumbled. Serena smiled and hugged me, which caught me by surprise. I didn't hug back.

               Since that day on the playground, Serena never left my side, and the girls never harassed her again. I took a while to warm up to Serena. I wasn't your usual kiddo. I always stood alone wherever I was and I didn't like company much. But Serena grew on me. She saw something in me that no one ever took the time to see, whatever that was.