08

Chris and I were at his house, we were both in the kitchen playing with the lid of the soda that we had finished

— so they will organize a party for Luke? — asks me

— aha, I heard that they were planning to make it with a lot of pizza and a craft table

— craft table?, wait, when did you hear that? — we get distracted for a second and the cover, which was going in my direction, falls from the bar, we follow its path with our eyes, until it stops thanks to some black shoes. I look up, Chris and I smile at his dad innocently.

He lifts the lid, scanning the kitchen slowly, stopping right between the two of us.

— Chris, you remember there was food to reheat in the fridge, right? He — he asks my friend, who nods putting a hand behind his hair and shaking it — so why does it look like the kitchen was ransacked?

Chris and I turned to look at each other for a few seconds, and then we turned to look at him — well dad, you see, Cassy and I were doing homework, when we got really hungry, I opened the fridge, but I didn't feel like anything — I nodded with a slight smile at what Chris was saying — then she said that we could do something ourselves and you know that she is very clumsy in the kitchen — I open my eyes more than usual in surprise, and I turn to see him

— if the clumsy one is you! — I defend myself

— but the sauce fell silent

— because you bumped into me when you were looking for the dough

We heard a sigh and fell silent, looking back at Mr. Mason, who had a hand covering his eyes as he shook his head, but we both knew he was more amused by our interaction than angry by our mess.

— did they at least leave me something?, and if so, I have a better question, is it edible? — He tells us, we both nod and Chris leaves my side to serve his dad a bowl of pasta.

— Actually, it turned out very well — Chris says proudly.

— Thanks to the fact that we followed the recipe — he finished.

He starts to eat while Chris and I slowly start to leave the place, hoping that when his dad wants to say something to us, we won't be here.

when we managed to get out of the kitchen we heard a laugh. I'm sure you already noticed. As I mentioned before, my best friend's dad is a policeman, his job is very stressful and if you see him during his shift, you'll think he's a serious guy. but he is actually a very funny person, he always tries to be happy when he comes home or with Chris.

As long as we don't cause too much trouble, of course he is.

the mess in the kitchen is not what we would call a big problem, he knows it's boring to eat all week reheated takeout food, neither Chris nor Mr. Mason know how to cook anything, my friend only does it when I'm around and if not It's food at home.