One-Sided Love Affair

Start from the beginning

She only hesitated briefly before walking in behind the old man. She really needed to stop calling him that. Glancing around, she saw an older woman lying in a makeshift bed. Her skin was pale from lack of sunlight or an actual illness; Cassandra didn't know which, but she would find out.

"May I ask your names?" she questioned aloud.

Only the man could reply, "Frank and Anne. You may call us Frank and Anne."

She gave him a reassuring smile, for the man looked about ready to fall over. Sweat was pouring down his face, and he kept rubbing his palms on his dirty shirt. Cassandra knew he was just nervous about his wife, but he need not worry overly until she actually checked her patient.

"Then you may call me Cassandra."

Surprise flashed in his eyes, "My lady, I couldn't very well do that. T'would be improper."

"Ah, don't you worry, Frank. Will you do me a favor though?"

He looked at her skeptically before nodding his head, "Aye, I'll help you anyway I can."

"Good, good," she nodded, "Will you mind taking Cooper out and letting him play?"

She hoped the man would do as she asked with no questions. It would be easier this way. Not only would she get the boy away from any sickness that may spread, she could also keep the old man from asking questions.

Luckily, the man nodded and grabbed her new son's hand. Cooper only put up a tiny fight as he clung and Frank pulled. As soon as his grasp was broken, he sent her a frown. Bending down, she looked into the small boy's eyes, "I just need to make sure she is well. Then, I shall come outside and play with you. Then, we can pick flowers for our home. Does that sound fun?"

He gave her a hesitant smile, but didn't open his mouth. She knew she would have to gain Cooper's trust. As soon as she could, she would begin working on that task, but now, she needed to focus on Anne. She gave Cooper a little nudge towards Frank. He went with the old man, but as they reached the doorway, he glanced back once more and stared at her as if committing her face to memory. One more small yank on the boys arm, and Cassandra was alone with her patient.

She opened her bag first, and slipped the mask over her face. The old woman who had taught Cassandra always told her that if she didn't take care of herself, she wouldn't be able to take care of others. Cassandra had no idea where the woman got the mask from or if her mentor had made it herself. One thing that Cassandra regretted was the fact that she would never find out the answer to that question.

Taking confident steps forward, she made her way to Anne's bedside. She looked down on the lady. As she observed earlier, her skin was pale, but on closer inspection, it looked like a natural thing for the woman. How long has she been holed up in this unsanitary shack? Cassandra knelt down beside the woman and reached her hand out. Using the back of her hand, she felt Anne's head. It wasn't hot to the touch, which meant the lady had no fever.

What could be wrong with the lady? The question was answered when she let out a cough. Cassandra grimaced; she had heard that gurgling cough before. It was something that kept people in their beds for weeks, but it was treatable. She reached her hand out blindingly as she searched for her bag. Her hand connected with the familiar leather surface.

Pulling it towards her, she didn't even need to look down as she opened it and searched its contents. She had the placement of everything memorized. If she didn't, the bag would have never helped her during darker times. Glancing down, she took her eyes off of the lady for the first time to make sure that this was indeed the correct jar. Better safe than sorry.