Prologue - Part One - The Call From The Darkness

"Ugh." I awoke in a daze. I noticed I was in an unfamiliar location, "Where...am I?" After a moment, I snapped out of my sleep-induced gaze and realized where I had awoken, "Is this...a hotel room? What am I doing here?" I tried recalling what had happened the prior night to have ended up here, but nothing came to me. "Why... can't I remember? It's not like a spirit can get hammered." I chuckled to myself, then tried getting out of bed. "Hm-AAAHHH-bonk...ow...wait, how did I get hurt, but more importantly...HOW DID I GET HURT?!" I said in a mix of fear and confusion, "Just what's going on here."

I picked myself up from the ground, then turned to the bed, "Great, now that I can't levitate, I must constantly be reminded how short I am, yay. Huh, considering the lack of use my legs have been receiving, I'm surprised at just how well I'm managing to stand." I never needed to walk as a spirit, as I could float around wherever I wanted. I suppose that's one of the few perks of being dead. Well, it was.

After coming to terms with the state of my body, I looked around the room to see if I could find anything that could help me piece together what happened last night. The room was a standard one. It had a bed, a bedside drawer with a lamp, a couch with a coffee table, a T.V. mounted above a clothing drawer, and a bathroom with a shower. There was also a window that showed an outside area in the middle of whatever building I found myself in, on the floor below us; it seemed to be some kind of courtyard. I could also tell that the building was tall, probably about six stories tall, with many weird areas branching off the building. It looked like some abomination of architecture a kid would design. "I really need to figure out just where the hell I am."

After not finding anything of note out in the open, I decided I'd just try leaving the room. I walked over to the door to try and do just that, "Hnnnnnnng... HNNNNNNNGG- ah, nothing. Must be locked then." There must be a key around her somewhere. I proceeded to check the drawers until I found something in the bedside drawer, "Huh, a key. It has a number...Room 719? That...doesn't seem right...hmm? What's this?" After getting a look at the room key, I noticed a piece of paper along with what looked to be a map which was also in the drawer. I picked it up, and it read: After finding this note, make your way to the lobby marked on the map.

"That's it? Well, at least it was something." After reading the note, I put it and the map in the satchel I had on me. "Wait...did I always have this satchel? Well, it's convenient considering my lack of pockets, so I'll take it." And with that out of the way, I walked to the door, put the key in, and opened it.

When I stepped outside it was...normal? No, that's not right; it was...more normal than expected. Then again, when you exit what appears to be a hotel room you don't really expect to see a singular door on the other side of the hallway. Aside from that, the place was very well furnished. There were nice looking planets stationed about, with comfy looking couches and sofas with coffee tables at both corners I could see. "Yup, this is definitely a hotel lobby alright. I swear I don't remember checking into one though," I said out loud in hopes of jogging my memory. Which didn't work.

Before doing anything else, I pulled out the map, " Hmmm, so that red square must be the room I was just in. In that case, the room I need to go to is on the opposite side of where I am." After figuring that out, I put the map away again and took a left.

As the map indicated, there were three rooms down the hallway. The first one appeared to be a bathroom, the next looked to house an elevator, and the last one seemed to be some kind of laundromat. "Aside from the shocking lack of windows and that weird doorway from earlier, this seems to be your standard hotel lobby." I then turned a second corner that looked identical to the last, and there it was, "The doorway to the answers I'm seeking," I said in a whisper. However, when I opened that door...all I got was even more questions.