"No, that's long over," the redhead says. They reach the mall's front doors, and before they slam shut, her voice carries just far enough for you to hear: "But I think Steve's got a crush on the newbie who works in the bookstore."

You can't help the goofy, lovesick smile that spreads across your face. You feel giddy, like a tweenager being asked to the movies for the first time. Steve likes you? For real?

The concern for Billy melts out of your head. Sure, maybe your priorities are skewed, but right now, all you can think about is one man. One silly, sweet sailor man.

Also, Billy might have tried to kill you. So maybe you don't care what he's got going on.

When you get home, you scan the phone book for the number of the Harrington residence. You rehearse what you're going to say and then call, heart hammering away.

No answer. You frown and leave a voicemail.

"Hey, Steve!" you say. "It's me. I missed you at the mall today. Call me back when you get this—I have something important to ask you."

You don't really want to, but you try to call Billy and Max's house next, remembering the original reason you wanted to talk to Steve. Their father answers and is not enthused by your line of questioning.

"I don't know where Billy is," Mr. Hargrove growls. "Don't call again!"

"Jesus Christ," you mutter after you hear the dial tone. "What a dick."

You head to bed, figuring that tomorrow is a new day to try again.

***

It's July Fourth, meaning you only have to work a half day before the bookstore closes early. When you arrive at work, most of your coworkers are gathered in the break room, murmuring and watching the news on a tiny TV.

"What's going on?" you ask, after putting your things in your employee locker. You scan the group, surprised to see one coworker missing. "And where's Kenny?"

Alicia, the only other employee your age, says, "Oh my God, did you see the news?"

"No, what happened?"

"There was an attack in the hospital last night," Alicia says. "On the top floor. Every patient and orderly was killed."

You stop breathing for a second.

"Wait, what?"

"Kenny's brother was an orderly," Scott, an older coworker, adds. "His whole family is reeling at the news."

"I can't even imagine!" Alicia says.

You can. When your firefighter dad died suddenly last year on the job, the grief consumed you. It threatened to swallow you whole. You imagine Kenny is feeling the same right now and it makes your chest ache.

"Do they know who did it?" you ask. But you have a suspect in mind: Billy Hargrove. Is it possible that if you had helped him or called the police the other night, this wouldn't have happened?

But then you glance at the TV screen and see footage of the bloodied hospital floors, of body bags lined up, and you realize if you had helped Billy, you might've ended up in one of those body bags.

"No leads yet," Alicia says. "But Scott here has a ridiculous theory."

"It's not ridiculous!" Scott snaps. "Pennhurst isn't a prison. Someone could break out."

"It's one step below prison," Alicia says. "And their security is tighter than Fort Knox."

"Uh, what's Pennhurst?" you ask.

"Oh, right," Alicia says, "you're new in town. Pennhurst is the mental hospital in the next county over."

"And I'd bet anything that whoever did this is an escaped patient!" Scott says. "This reeks of a Creel massacre."

The name Creel sends a shiver down your spine. But you aren't entirely sure why.

Your manager, Delores, enters the back room with a somber expression and wringing hands.

"I wish I could say it was a good morning, team," she says, "but unfortunately, it is not. As many of you have heard by now, our dear Kenny is suffering a loss, as well as many other families in Hawkins. Because of that, we will not be opening today. Please, use this day off to be with your families and try to enjoy the day."

Everyone thanks Delores and wishes her a Happy Fourth before gathering their things and shuffling out into the employee hallway.

You don't have family to spend time with, and you're much too concerned about what's happening in town to enjoy anything. You're at an impasse.

WHAT DO YOU DO?

A. TRY AND FIND STEVE - go to page 13

B. INVESTIGATE THE HOSPITAL MURDERS - go to page 14