Chapter 3

Zion Sullivon

My eyes fluttered open as the first beam of sunlight pierced through the room. I groaned, my throat raw and my head pounding. I had expected the hangover, but this was worse than I anticipated. As I tried to sit up and reach for my painkillers, it dawned on me that I wasn't in my dorm—or my apartment. The surroundings were completely unfamiliar.

Then, I felt it: something wrapped around my waist. My heart skipped a beat as I realized it was a hand, with another draped across my chest. Panic surged through me, and I wriggled out of the tight embrace, scrambling to get off the bed. As soon as I got up I felt a sharp pain shooting through my lower back, and I collapsed to my knees on the floor.

"Oh, you're awake," a familiar voice remarked.

I was startled by the sudden interaction. This was when I actually got a good look at the man. He looked like he was in his 30s, maybe. His hair was as dark as his eyes, and an annoyingly devious smirk spread across his lips. He was undeniably attractive, even with bedhead, and... he was naked. I glanced down at myself and realized I was naked too.

"About time you noticed," he said, amusement dancing in his eyes.

"Uh, look... I was drunk and... and this wasn't supposed to happen," I stammered, barely managing to get the words out. I couldn't believe I had slept with someone just after my breakup, and that too with a man.

"But last night, the way you screamed my name said otherwise," he replied smugly. My eyes widened, and my face flushed with embarrassment.

"Stop talking rubbish! I don't even know your name!" I shot back defensively.

"You knew last night. But it seems like you've forgotten," he said, getting up and wrapping the bed sheet around his waist. He walked up to me and held out his hand. "I'm Valentino Rhodes."

That name rang a bell. I knew I'd heard it recently... but where?

"Uhh...", he looked at me awkwardly.

"Uhh um Zion Sullivan. And I am going to take a shower.", I said as I sped towards the bathroom without looking back hoping he would leave before I am done showering.

I stepped into the shower and turned it on. The water was ice cold. Fuck! Everything is going wrong! How could I do this?! I just slept with someone-or rather, got fucked by someone-right after my breakup. This was never part of the plan. I had only meant to have a few drinks and forget about what happened for a while. Now, instead of just dealing with the breakup, I had this outrageous new situation to stress over. Why did this have to happen?! My head was throbbing, adding to my misery.

I felt a sharp pain near my lower back and tried to inspect the area. It didn't take long to realize how was swollen and sore the place was.Utterly disgusted, I scrubbed and rinsed every inch of my body until I was satisfied. He had left marks all over my chest, goddammit! After what felt like an eternity in the shower, I wrapped a towel around my waist and stepped back into the room.

To my utter disappointment, he was still there.

"Takes you longer than a girl in the shower," he remarked snarkily. Honestly, I was too exhausted to argue.

"The girl in your lockscreen, is she your girlfriend?" he asked. The question hit me hard, guilt flooding through me.

"None of your business," I snapped, trying to mask my discomfort.

"Man, so you're that kind of guy, huh?"

That got me! I may have been an asshole that didn't notice how much his lover was hurting, but I would never cheat on her!

"She used to be my girlfriend," I admitted, my heart aching with the admission.

"Oh, so you guys broke up. That explains why you were drinking like a madman," he said, his tone softening slightly.

I felt pathetic. Really? Venting to a stranger? Wow. He seemed to study me intently, his eyes scanning me from top to bottom.

"Well, sweet! I like your build; you're my type. I saved my number in your phone. Here's a set of clothes—you can keep them. Also, the painkillers are on the side table," he said, gesturing towards the table with a casual air.

I was stunned, to say the least. I was his type? Wait... how the hell did he unlock my phone?!

"How did you unlock my phone?!" I yelled, panic rising in my chest. Any leak of information from my phone could be catastrophic.

"I used the face lock. While you were sleeping like a baby in my arms, I took the chance to unlock it. Don't worry; all I did was add my number," he said with a smug grin.

He walked up close to me, leaning in so close I could feel his breath on my ear. "If you ever feel vulnerable, come to me, and I'll take care of you," he whispered, his voice a low, seductive murmur. Then, without another word, he turned and headed towards the bathroom, presumably for a shower.

I didn't waste a second. I grabbed the clothes he had left for me and hastily dressed. Navigating through the unfamiliar hallway, I stayed on high alert, my senses sharp. Eventually, I found an exit and quickly made my way to the nearest bus stop. I took a seat, my heart pounding so hard it felt like it might burst out of my chest.

I reached out to Silas to check on his whereabouts. He informed me that he and Phil had been fretting over my absence, attempting to locate me and reaching out numerous times without success. It was at that moment when I noticed, I had fifty missed calls. I felt a pang of guilt.

I apologized to both of them. Afterward, I booked a cab and waited anxiously for what felt like an eternity. Finally, my ride arrived, and I made my way back to the agency.