VIII

~~~~Soma~~~~

I was sleeping in my room, waiting for the alarm on my desk to go off, but then I woke up to a familiar voice echoing through the pipes.

"Good morning, Young Yukihiras!" Isshiki said through the pipes, "I could use a bit of your help. Could you two get dressed and come downstairs?"

"No!" I shouted at the ceiling, but then, Isshiki appeared in my ceiling.

I reluctantly got up and started getting dressed. All of a sudden, I heard Isshiki screaming from the other room.

"Please, I'm sorry. I just wanted a little help in the backyard!" He shouted.

"What did I tell you guys about waking me up before I'm ready?" Hikari shouted back. There were a few fumbling rushing noises and a slamming door. All I could do was snicker at Isshiki's mistake and hope that he doesn't make it ever again.

After I got dressed, I walked out of my room to see Hikari with dark circles under eyes and a glint of anger in them.

"You all right, sis?" I asked.

"If I don't get a cup of coffee in the next five seconds I'm gonna have to kill that ceiling pervert." She grumbled.

I chuckled and we went downstairs, making a short pitstop to the kitchen to get my sister a cup of coffee. When we got back to the main hall, we saw Yuki waiting for us.

"I see he woke you two up, too." She chuckled.

"Yeah, he did." I answered groggily.

"So, what did he want us to help him with?" Hikari asked, taking a sip of her coffee, "It'd better be good, or else I'll have to hurt him again this morning."

"Oh, trust me, it's worth it." Yuki said, "We're collecting vegetables from our field."

I looked over at Hikari and saw her eyes widen and her lips stretch into a big smile.

"Seriously?!" She said wide awake, "This I gotta see. You guys come along when you can, I've gotta check this out now."

I couldn't say anything as my sister rushed out of the dorm, leaving me smiling in amusement and Yuki was confused.

"Um, okay, what the heck just happened? She looked like she was dead on her feet and now she just burst through the door like a mad woman."

I chuckled, "Yeah, my sister is a little crazy when it comes to fresh produce and all that stuff. You mentioning a garden was basically a trigger for the Heaven's Senses."

"Well, our dorm's motto is that delicious food only comes from the best ingredients." Yuki said as we walked out of the dorm and around the corner. 

We heard a chainsaw going and saw Shun using it a cut a log.

"That's how Shun gets wood for making his smoke dishes." Yuki explained, then we went to a rice workshop where Ryoko was working.

"Ryoko's specialty is making dishes with malted rice, so she has her own workshop just for that."

We continued walked and passed a chicken coop with plenty of chickens wandering around inside.

"As for me, I want to breed a Kyokusei chicken equal to the French poulet de Bresse. And I let them run free-range of course."

Just then, we stood in front of an incredible garden filled from plot to plot with fresh vegetables.

"And then... Isshiki's main area of operation... is here! This garden grows dozens of different vegetables."