Chapter 1: Disregarded

Start from the beginning

It's hilarious. But, anyways. Where was I again?

There was a quick, rebellious side of me that wanted to just scream, leap out of my chair, and run like a madman down Fifth Avenue. My calm perserverance told me to not do that, or participate in the stunt in any way, because I might get run over. The Glorious Revolution was done and dead.

Bad thing is, I wasn't.

I acted before I could even stand to huddle there any longer, wrapped in my bold, extravagent, pitch black jacket. Restless, and with a gasping hunger for air and calm tranquility, I stood, almost 5' 7'', and collapsed to the floor again. After years of child abuse and sewed-on scars, my heart skipped a beat as it shattered and withered, too. I was fragile, and I didn't even know it. My first thought was, Crap, well, I'm screwed.

There was no submission to this pain and this agony. Setting my jaw, gritting my teeth, and heaving myself off of the hardwood floor with a tremendous amount of effort, I dragged myself to my feet and leaned heavily against the wall for support. I found myself scowling as I panted with excertion, and claustrophobic paranoia decided to hit me right then. Karma had gotten me back. This was just great.

I finally gained my bearings and shifted my weight to my other, stronger left leg. As stupid as I am, I pulled back the dark curtain of another, seperate window, and chanced a look outside, in the pouring rain. The landscape of Manhattan was melting as water skimmed down the streets, and the wind blew with more force during the past thirty minutes. Suprisingly, with my ADHD, that wasn't what caught my full attention. Forcing the curtain back to the spot in which it dully rested, I smiled to myself, with one quick, fluid motion.

It was a girl.

@};- Love Never Fails -;{@

Nothing, in the history of mankind, the history of romance or passion, or the history of me, could ever even begin to respond the the distorted motion of thoughts screaming inside of my head. It was mutilation of the cerebrum, or the cerebellum, of the brain. It attacked my nervous system, and I could not, would not, let it go. At some point or another I remembered distant, discarded flashes of memories that really meant nothing anymore. When that happened, everything was gone.

I was limping to the door in a matter of milliseconds.

Dry amusement began to wedge itself between the outside world and myself, and it was greeted with a faint, almost bewildered chuckle. It was more like a windblown landscape, and the gritty earth would never be parched of its thirst. Dragging myself to the door and half-heartedly falling against it, I stepped like a rock out into the pouring rain. Instantly, I was blinded by the fury of rambunctious wind, and deafened as pregnant clouds released the spawn of storms. This was going to be fun.

I reached back and pulled the hood of my jacket, made of 100% cotton, over my head, just to protect my identity. Starting down the road like a hitchhiker, I smirked as my ice blue eyes flitted to the ground and latched onto my black Converses. Despite the fact that I really was concerned for her, I couldn't help but wonder why I was out here in the first place. Wasn't I supposed to be the tough guy? The one who was dependable upon nothing?

We'll see.

Glancing up once again, I limped to the curve of the road and walked along the haunted sidewalk. With each step, my Converses got a little more drenched, and in a few seconds I was shivering like an idiot. Great. Good first impression, Cody. With a practical, casually practiced move, I gracefully slipped my hands into my jean pockets and stopped next to the girl, saying nothing and revealing only darkness.

Staying emotionless, and with my sense of humor, I could imagine this one thought: You have reached your destination.

Staring at her for a moment with warm blue eyes, in contrast to the weather outside, I took in her condition, as well as her looks. Wearing black skinny jeans, dark mocassin boots, and a studded belt, she looked, well, attractive. Too bad looks weren't all for me. Long, rich dark hair fell down past her shoulders, and bangs concealed half of the girl's face. Wristbands from the mounds of merchandise from Hot Topic ran up her arms, and a rain soaked striped shirt with a large belt was melted onto her upper body.

She was a vivid painting in the dull, black and white movie of New York City, stopped in time by the beautiful grace and compelling compassion of metallic eyes.

Letting time lapse into the classical spanse of minutes, or hours, I spoke in a timid, rich tone with mysterious abbreviations. "What's wrong?"

Yes, I know I sounded stupid. Yes, I know that she clearly didn't want to talk, because, for one, she was soaking wet, and two, she was crying. Gritting my teeth, I watched mascara run down her cheeks in a horrid sense of black blood. All was calm. Calm before, well, the storm.

She replied, suprisingly, when I didn't expect it. I could repeat her statement over and over again, and it still wouldn't make any sense. "I'm fine, thanks."

Oh, that's great.

I wasn't buying it.

I stared at her for a moment and grimaced in disgust. She was far from fine. Typical girl for you, huh? In response to my own question, I practically tore my jacket off of my body and draped it around her, not caring if she protested against the action or was grateful for it. Sitting down on the wet cement, I looked away, over my shoulder, and then muttered out a reply.

"You're not fine. You can say anything you want, but I won't believe one word of it."

With an exasperated sigh, she rubbed her eyes with the palms of her hands and looked away, refusing to meet my gaze. Of course, I was fine with that. Leaving my jacket to rot on the ground, she opened her mouth to speak, but said absolutely nothing. This, I was not fine with. I didn't do anything to stop her, even when she got up and turned to leave.

"I told you, I was fine." Before I could react, she had gotten up and flown through the rain, probably getting away from me as fast as humanely possible. I really didn't blame her. Suffocating a ragged sigh that supressed itself in my throat, I supported myself on the stoop of the sidewalk and once again forced myself into a half slouching, half standing position. That went well.

Turning and trying to be abrupt about it, I stared openly at the sky and let plump raindrops splash across my face.

I would see her again.