They had a set routine of handling everything along with Payal's remote job, Khushi's embroidery and household chores. But with Khushi's job at AR, Payal was going to be short a set of hands.

"Haan, ab Sanka Devi ko bohut chinta ho rahi hain apne Jiji ki, haain? Yeh khayal tab kaha gaya jab seer sapate mein nikal ke bahar ki naukri le aaye." [Haan, now Sanka Devi is worried about her elder sister? Where was this concern when you went out touring the city for a job?]

Khushi squeezed her eyes shut, Payal clutching her shoulder. She had been taunting the poor girl since she heard the news of Khushi's job.

Buaji was more angry at her for coming home late rather than being concerned for her well being when the poor girl had stood outside AR in the scorching sun for hours, waiting for her turn.

"Payalia ka fayda utha rahi hain yeh." Garima joined in, not before sparing Payal a withering glare. Garima, being Shashi's second wife, never liked her step daughter but put on a show in front of Shashi and Buaji. [She is taking advantage of Payal.]

Payal was the apple of their eyes after all.

But in some ways, Garima and Shashi were easier to tolerate back in Lucknow. At least they gave them the cold shoulder and left the sisters alone.

Shashi, as usual, was a silent spectator, more interested in the morning newspaper than speaking in defense of his daughters.

Payal ignored them and turned to Khushi. "You don't worry about me. Buaji and Amma are here to help me na." Payal had a mischevious glint in her eyes, planning like a malicious mother-in-law to bother her daughter-in-law.

Buaji seemed eager to help her Payalia while Garima paled. She couldn't refuse Shashi's golden girl.

"You focus on your job and remember, first salary you're treating me to a dhaba lunch."

Khushi broke into a smile, jumping. "Punjab da dhaba! Done jiji, dekhna hum aapka naam roshan karenge." [Punjabi Dhaba, done jiji, you see I'll make you proud!]

"Pagli. Naam roshan karne ke liye pehle din time par office jaana hain." [To make me proud, you have to first reach office on time.]

Khushi's eyes widened comically. "Hey Devi Maiya, jiji hum nikalte hain." [Oh god, Jiji, I'm leaving now.]

"Ruk, tiffin toh leti jaa. Khushi!" Payal ran out till the verandha and leaned over the railing while Khush stood on her toes to grab the box. "Bye jiji!"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Kya?!"

ASR smirked, pleased to see that stunned expression on Khushi's face.

"You heard me. For our next fashion show, I need five different sherwanis for my models, tailored to their body build. As well as three bridal lehengas, a couple of unique designs for the bridesmaid collection."