Chapter 8: The Journey Begins

I was surprised how quickly I was able to fall asleep in such a strange place. I scarcely remembered laying down in the hobbit's tiny guest room the night before, much less actually falling asleep. I stayed up with the dwarves for a while after Bilbo went to bed learning as much as I could about the trip. Aside from the key Gandalf had that would allow us entry into the mountain, it seemed there wasn't really a solid plan. Not that it bothered me, I was used to working on the fly back home. I'd gotten used to my life of stability, and after a year of peace and quiet I didn't expect to settle into Middle Earth so easily. But Bilbo's home was warm and welcoming, and I'd fallen asleep the moment my head hit the pillow. I knew it was the last good night of rest I'd likely get for a while.

The faint glimmer of sunlight peeking through the curtains woke me. I instinctively reached out for my phone to check the time before remembering where I was. It would certainly take some getting used to.

I crossed the room to the window and peered out. The sun was just beginning to crest over one of the numerous hobbit-holed hills, and I could see a few tiny bodies roaming up and down the paths already. I wasn't familiar with telling time off of the sun, but I guessed it was around six or seven in the morning. Thorin had announced the night before he wanted to be off shortly after dawn, and judging by the light outside that would likely be soon.

I quickly slipped back into my clothes and braided my hair back out of my face before straightening up the tiny guest room and remaking the bed. The dwarves had insisted I take the one spare room, while they piled onto the living room floor. Given that it was the last time I'd likely sleep in a bed or on my own for a while, I'd not objected.

Despite mine and Gandalf's best attempts the evening before to persuade Bilbo to join us, he had declined. It seemed the prospect of danger outweighed the gold or the adventure for him. It was a shame; I'd very much enjoyed the company of the hobbit already. He was far from a warrior, but there was a cunning and kindness about him I thought would have rounded out the group. Plus, a little disorder in his life might have done him well.

As I emerged from the bedroom and made my way down the hall I heard a few of the dwarves rummaging through Bilbo's pillaged pantry. I was still trying to commit names to memory, but I believed them to be Bofur, Ori, and Oin.

"Good morning, Lady Lilith." The one I thought to be Bofur greeted me.

I nodded to them in greeting as maybe-Ori shyly handed me an apple.

"Breakfast." He offered. "There isn't much left."

"I believe it." I teased, smiling kindly at the younger dwarf before stepping outside.

The rest of the party were already outside, saddling and packing up a group of horses. Gandalf and Thorin were conversing as the remaining dwarves strapped supplies and bedrolls to the backs of the horses.

Not horses, though. As I looked closer I realized they were more ponies, similar but slightly smaller than an average horse. I'd almost forgotten about the height deficiency of the group, though I was hardly one to talk.

I made my way over to where Gandalf and Thorin stood, and as I approached Thorin we briefly made eye contact. His gaze was notably kinder than the evening before. He nodded to me wordlessly before excusing himself and stepping over to assist who I did remember to be Dwalin as he saddled one of the ponies.

Gandalf smiled kindly down at me.

"Good morning, Lilith. How did you sleep?"

"Surprisingly well. Probably for the last time in a while I'd guess." I joked.

He smirked, nodding his head as if to confirm my statement.

"At least you are prepared. You made quite the impression last night." He said, giving me a knowing look. "I wasn't quite expecting that. But it is good to know what Master Nick has told me about you is true."