Chapter 4- Horses

Depuis le début

Okay, quick stop real fast. I basically have no family. My Dad died a few years back and not long after, my brother left. He's either dead or still gone off somewhere. As for my Mom? Let's just say I hate her and stay clear of her when I can. I have no close cousins or family, not that they'd want me anyway. I mean, who'd want a sad depressed child anyway?

A child seemingly broken beyond repair. Despite all that, I've held onto a small piece of hope. Hope that maybe one day everything will change for the better got. So far, nothing is different and that hope is dwindling to nothingness.

A hand suddenly appears in front of me, causing me to jerk my head back in surprise. Blinking, I looked over at Jessica with a confused look. I frowned slightly as I realized I probably had just zoned out for a minute or so. "Yeah, it's fine with them" I say standing up looking everywhere but the other girls face. "Kaylee? Are you okay?" she asks quietly. With a nod, I meet her gaze with an easy smile. "I'm fine. Alls good. I just need to head over to my house to grab a few things. I s'pose you can tag along if you want" I say changing subjects.

I move towards the door and look back at Jessica who wasn't saying anything other then just looking at me with an unreadable expression. "Sure thing, lets go!" she says jumping up and leading the way out of the room with a grin. I followed her briskly as we made our way through the house and down to the front door.

Exiting the house, I looked around her home once again, shaking my head. "This place is huge. What's out back anyway?" I asked raising an eyebrow. A grin broke out across Jessica's face and she motioned for me to follow "Come and fund out" she says grabbing my hand and jogging around back. Not really having any choice, I followed after her, my brain spinning just from the fact she was holding my hand! Silly me, I shouldn't get so excited over such simple things like this! Whatever, I'd take what I can get.

Trailing at her heels, I was left wondering what surprise was hiding back there. Turning the corner, I instantly caught sight of 3 houses prancing around in a huge enclose thing that they were often in. The land behind their house was dedicated to a fair sized bar and outside area for the horses.

"This is Sliver, Midnight and Dusty" she say pointing each out. Sliver was a light gray that resembled a slivery color and had a white star on her forehead. Midnight was sold black, no sign of any other color across her coat. Dusty was also a grey color but mixed with shades of brown and white giving her a very dusty look but still beautiful all the same.

I smiled and reached my hand out to them, petting their noses softly as they stood there quietly. "Ever been riding?" she asks a Moment later. I shake my head slightly "Once years ago" comes my response. "Really? Wanna go for a ride now?" she asks with an excited look. My hand dropped as I looked over at her with a slight nervous look "Alone?" I asked slowly. She laughed "Nah, I'll come with you! Come on! it'll be fun!" she says grabbing my hand once again.

Dragging me around the fences, she made her way over and into the small barn on the other side of the yard. Entering, she let go of my hand to grab a saddle hanging on the walls but ended up gagging instead. "Are you okay? What happened?" I asked worriedly. "Oh nothing, it just stinks a lot in here. No biggie" she says waving a hand in front of her nose. I chuckled and shrugged "Not really, smells nice to me" I say looking around. To me it smelled like home and reminded me of happy times.

Jessica scoffed "You're crazy. It smells like horse crap and hay and other random shit" she complained while making a face. A laugh escaped my mouth "Whatever you say. Smells more like home to me" I say almost wistfully with a shrug. Jessica looks at her curiously as she hands me a saddle and bridle for me to carry. "And where is home?" she asks while grabbing a set for herself. "Back in Montana I guess. It kinda varies"