𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐓𝐘-𝐒𝐈𝐗

Start from the beginning

"We just got to let it play out. In our minds we're together, in a relationship, whatever... Everything else will come with time." She nods as she speaks if to assure herself and you do the same as if to back up her internal support system with your support too. "I just.. Wish things were different, you know? That we didn't have to worry about it all..."

"I know. But I love you no matter what, you know that, right? You and Robin are great together-- ooh-! Why don't we get out of town for a few days next weekend? Me, you, Eddie and Robin. A little double date, far from where anyone knows us." The grin on your lips was supposed to inspire enthusiasm but Brenda just groans and drops a hand over her eyes.

"I can't. I'd love to- don't get me wrong. I just have a trip with my family already planned, it's our annual camping trip. Remember? My dad already serviced the Winnebago."

"Right. Of course." You sigh, running your fingertips over her cheek. "But we'll plan something soon. It would be nice to see you both out together somewhere you're comfortable."

"I'd like that." She smiles at last and it soothes some of the heartache you had for her troubles. She was the most amazing woman in your life. She really did deserve all the happiness in the world.

-------------------------------------------

Brenda was kind enough to give you and your hairy son a ride home after the catch up. Winston had sat in the backseat the entire time with his head out of the window, fully enjoying the breeze through his flopping ears and fur.

You spent the rest of the day relaxing in your room, reading magazines and listening to some music. You also did some homework and extra credit work, which made you feel all productive and like you had your life together. It probably wouldn't last long, but you were very aware that graduation was only a few months away. Your grades were up and higher than they'd ever been so you were starting to feel confident you'd finally make it out of school, but it was better to be safe than sorry. Hence the extra credit work.

When dinner rolls around, you're already exhausted and not at all prepared to play happy families with your mom and brother. You hadn't even spoken to them since the argument a few days ago. 

Winston follows you down to the dining room and offers much needed emotional support as you take your place at the table. Your mom and dad sat at the separate ends and Jason sat across from you. The two elephants in the room ignore your arrival, as expected, but your dad offers up a tired smile and a short greeting. The mustache was still intact. Sigh. Looks like it was here to stay.

Dinner was adequate enough to eat but not nearly seasoned as well as it should have been. Mom's special. A beef roast that you didn't have much of because it was like eating stale cardboard - you'd just get some Chinese food later and take it over to Eddie's.

There's no talking during dinner but you can't help to notice the constant shared glances between your mom and dad. When you look at her, really look at her, you notice the extra stress wrinkles and bags beneath her eyes. Her hair is dull and her eyes looked sad, her lips pressed into a grimace when she wasn't stuffing roast beef into her mouth.

"Dad, what's going on?" You finally ask, the sense of dread in the air becoming suffocating to remain in without reprieve. Jason, who'd been wolfing down his food with all the grace of a starved bear, lifts his head at that, as if not noticing anything was even wrong.

Your mom bristles and your dad looks down at his empty plate. He clears his throat, looks at your mom. "I guess now is as good a time as any, Deb." His voice was soft, calm.

You watch as your moms jaw pops with tension, eyes avoiding your dad's at all costs. She inhales sharply and offers nothing but a curt nod after a few fleeting seconds. Your brows furrow, glace constantly flicking between the two of them until your dad finally speaks. He straightens and looks at Jason, then you. "Your mother and I are getting a divorce. We've decided that... Given recent circumstances... the divide in this family is irreparable."