Chapter 1

3:05 PM, on a Friday. All the ponies at the Canterlot University were celebrating the end of school, and the start of a three-day weekend. Parties were being planned, dates were being scheduled, and everyone was having a good time.

Only one unicorn was not joining in the festivities. Her name was Twilight Sparkle, the personal protégé of Princess Celestia. It was a well-known fact that Twilight Sparkle was the school valedictorian for five years running, and she even had more raw magical power than some of the teachers.

She also had the social skills of a broken gazebo.

Twilight Sparkle currently had her nose stuck in a book, as she walked down the hallway. She didn't take any notice of the other ponies, who were all talking about their plans for the holiday. There was one pony in particular, though, who was taking notice of her: a reddish/pink unicorn with a short, dark mane and small blue glasses.

This is it, he thought. Time for me to finally talk to her. No big deal, right? She's only the most famous pony in school.

"The square of the sum of the hypotenuse of the radius times the denominator-" Twilight muttered to himself.

"Hiiiii Twilight," the colt said.

The unexpected noise completely threw Twilight for a loop. She looked up, and smashed into her book. This caused her to trip, which made her smash into a nearby wall.

The colt flinched. That looked painful.

"Oh my gosh, are you okay?" he asked, as he went over to Twilight and held out her hoof towards her. "I didn't mean to startle you!"

"You made me lose my place!" Twilight Sparkle complained, as she grabbed his hoof and pulled herself back up. "Why did-you-huh?"

Twilight suddenly noticed that the pony helping her up had a well-defined snout and angular cheekbones. It took a second for her to process this information. She was close-somewhat close-to a pony with a square-shaped face.

Jeepers, it's a colt! Twilight thought. She instinctively jumped backwards in fear, which caused her to smash into the wall again.

The colt frowned slightly. This conversation was getting off to a bad start. He was beginning to regret his decision to approach his secret crush.

"Twilight, are you okay?" the girl asked.

"I...I'm fine...uh...John," Twilight Sparkle said, resisting the urge to scream and run away. Her boy senses were tingling, because he was a boy. A boy! An actual boy! Talking to her!

"My name is Adam Spellen," he said, a little disappointed that Twilight didn't know his name. "We've been in the same homeroom for three years."

"Uh...uh...yeah..." Twilight Sparkle said.

She had no idea what to say. Various thoughts popped into her head, but they all sounded wrong. I like your glasses? No, that sounded creepy. Homeroom class sure is...homeroomy? No, dumb, dumb. Will you please be my boyfriend? No no NO!

Twilight swallowed heavily, as the silence grew longer and longer. Great, now she looked stupid, because she couldn't think of anything to say, and this colt was going to hate her forever because of it, and she was going to ruin his one chance at true love, and why is it so hard to talk to other ponies?

"So..." Adam said. He was slightly nervous, and the conversation (or lack thereof) was kind of creeping him out, but he was determined to continue. Twilight Sparkle completely misinterpreted the message he was sending, though.

Oh, no, he's angry at me now! Twilight thought.Think! Think! Uh...the weather! Dad says no matter what, you can always talk about the weather!