chapter seven

"She lets me down, then gets me high. Oh I don't know why she's just my type"

~#~

Ari stared at the broken piece of heart that hung on a necklace.

"Promise to wear it every day and never remove it?" She had asked Jake with a pinkie finger held out for him to interlock.

It was a heart with two pieces, one person wore one part of the heart and the other person the same. And when you put it together, it would form a complete heart, something common and popular among teenage couples.

Ari let out a shaky breath and put it around her neck, and tucked it in the collar of her uniform.

"Ari we're getting late!" Chaewon yelled from the door of their dorm.

"Coming!" Ari yelled back, grabbing her backpack and hurrying to Chaewon.

"Gosh, would you look at the time!?" Hyejin, the most dramatic of all, exclaimed looking at her watch. "Mr. Choi is going to murder me"

The four girls ran toward their respective buildings according to their majors, and Ari walked alone toward the Department of Astronomical Physics.

"Shortie, wait for me!" a voice yelled behind her, giving her deja vu.

Sim Jake caught up with her. "Good morning"

"Good night. I'm sleepy as f-," she was cut off by the boy.

"Whoa there," he said aloud. "Just because you were away from me for one night doesn't mean you can curse"

"Hey, I didn't miss you at all!" she said, hitting his chest, as he giggled.

"Sure, whatever you say," he said, ruffling her hair. "By the way, cool necklace"

Her hand instantly went up to her neck to hide it. "Oh, uhm, Chaewon Eonni gifted it to me"

"Looks the same to me," Jake said, shrugging his shoulders like it wasn't a big deal. Ari was surprised and felt stupid at the same time. "Don't worry, you look pretty in it. C'mon, we're running late. Here, catch my bag!"

"Hey, carry your bag!" Ari struggled to run behind him with two backpacks, as Jake ran away from her, shooting teasing looks at her.

The two of them reached their class, panting and cursing at each other. The class had already begun and they had to scurry like quiet mice inside the classroom to go to their seats. Jake sat with his group of friends that included Heeseung and two other males whose names she recognized to be Taehyun and Hanbin.

However, Ari's eyes caught a particular guy. Wasn't he in his senior year? What was he doing in the junior year's class? Heeseung's loud outfit which included heavy chains, messy, ebony hair, and multiple tattoos, stood out from the group. There was something about this boy that gave peculiar vibes to Ari...

"Miss Lee, would you mind taking a seat?" She was shaken from her thoughts by the professor. Embarrassed, she apologized and hurried to take a seat a few benches behind Jake. Upon questioning a friend next to her, Ari learned the professor was taking a combined class for two successive years today. 

"I abhor Mr. Choi," Hyejin complained, as the group walked towards the cafeteria for shots of coffee before their next class. Ari volunteered to get coffee for the group, while the rest went to occupy their regular table.

"Four espressos please," she told the cashier, who was a handsome guy, popular among the students, especially girls.

"You needn't tell me that, sweetheart," he said, smiling at her.

"Thank you, Mr. Jeon," she smiled at him.

"How many times do I have to tell you to call me by my first name, huh?" he said as he made their drinks.

"Sorry, Jungkook Oppa," she chuckled. "But I don't think the other girls will like it if I call you that"

Jungkook let out a loud laugh at that. "Oh, it's everyday business. Don't worry about that"

Ari hummed as the older guy made gave finishings to their drinks. She felt another presence behind her, but the voice startled her before she could confirm it.

"One espresso, and make it quick," Lee Heeseung said aloud. "You're always slow, the other dude was better"

"Hey, don't talk to him like that!" Ari defended her friend. Heeseung turned to her as if noticing her for the first time.

"Oh, it's the attitude bitch," he said, turning completely towards her, placing his elbows on the counter and his cheeks on his palms as if to admire her. "And what is he, your boyfriend?"

"Watch it, young man," Jungkook warned anger in his voice. "You don't want to mess with me"

"Or what? Are you gonna challenge me to a fight?" Heeseung turned away from Ari and leaned towards Jungkook, who seemed furious at the disrespect. "I own fights, dude"

"Or," Jungkook said in a calm voice, that made him sound scarier than he already was. "I can make your balls and education disappear like it never existed"

"Okay, enough," Ari broke in. The tension between the two felt denser than grease. "Nobody is fighting or making balls and education disappear. Heeseung, take your coffee the way Jungkook Oppa makes it, or go back to your seat to your petty little group of playmates"

Before she knew it, Ari felt a push through her neck. Heeseung pressed her throat against the wall, making it hard for her to breathe. She could hear Jungkook's shouts at Heeseung but her vision started blacking out to hear anything properly.

"Say that again about my friends and you won't see the light again like you aren't right now. Except it'll be forever," he whispered in her ears. Jungkook had come to Ari's rescue, but Heeseung had already let go of Ari, who was now on her knees, gasping for air.

Heeseung grabbed his coffee and walked away, not turning to look back at Ari who had almost come back from the dead.

"Ari, are you okay?" Jungkook asked, worried, as he helped her to her feet. He gave her coffee to drink so she could regain her lost energy.

"Don't mess with him, Ari-ssi," Jungkook said, stroking her hair as she took deep breaths in. "He almost killed you" 

how's the story so far? :>