She was sweating and it wasn’t due to the weather, which was freezing. She just had one of her uneventful nightmares.

It was better to call them nightmares, instead of one of her past nauseating memories. The narrow cell was definitely not helping this matter.

She hated narrow spaces and she was doomed to spend the next year in one. The roof of the cell on top of her bed was too close that if she were to stand on her knees on top of her bed, she would end up with a nasty bump on top of her head. Every time she tried lying down, she felt suffocated.

Yes, it was horrible being claustrophobic.

The outside was too calm. Which was probably because no one were in their cells. All prisoners were spending this time in the outside yard, or that what she thought considering what the guards told her.

She'd do anything to be there instead of this vile hole. But then, being alone is what she was most comfortable with.

And yet, she hated quite.

Quite meant tragedy to her. The beating, the shouting, the screaming, they were all signs that they were still alive; but once it'd gotten quite, too quit, and she managed to open the closet's wooden door, they were already...

Shaking her head, Joanna tried to chase the dark memory away. She put her head between her knees and gave a long exhale before she lifted her head back up, thinking she needed something to busy herself with instead of drowning in her own darkness.

She leaned forward in her bed and started rummaging through the books she brought and took out her favorite, The Count of Monte Cristo. It was the first gift Pam, her aunt, gave her. She had cherished her memory ever since she died, the day when she finally realized just how important Pam was to her. She didn't tell her that though, or show her any love or care. It was one of her biggest regrets.  

Looking at the rusty book now, Joanna laughed at the turn of events. Edmond Dantès, the hero in the story, was prisoned for something he didn't do. Sounds familiar, eh? She mused to her self.

She opened the book from the middle and started engulfing the book for possibly the hundredth time. She enjoyed it. She focused her thoughts in the series of events. It was more interesting than her own dull life. Dantès had a goal, and yes it was blood thirsty and cruel.

But she never had a goal, so she indulged in his. 

She kept at it for while before a loud pound on the bars of her cell jerked her off. "What the hell?" She snapped at the man on the other side of the bars.

Her scowl turned into glare when she realized it was Kevin. She felt her generously bottled anger surfacing a bit.

"What is it now? Came to punish me some more?" She threw the book aside and started claiming down the bed.

"You really need to watch you attitude." Kevin said coldly in his deep tone.

"Attitude my ass!" She was almost shouting but she tried to keep it low in case someone was listening. "You knew it wasn't my fault! You want to explain why I was the one to blame?" She continued, folding both arms in front of her chest as she frowned at his humoungus form that was probably three times hers.

Kevin looked away, "that's how it works in here." He said. "If I want to screw you up I would've sent him back instead of you..."  

"You sure as hell should have!" She cut him off before he could continue.

"You think he works alone? That no harm will come to you from him because he'd been grounded because of you?" Kevin turned his hard gaze on her as he hissed angrily at her. “This is not a fucking school, kid.”