12. Living Up To My Words

Beginne am Anfang

"And...?" I indicated to her to continue.

"I don't understand why should I hide anything from you if they want us to see each other and eventually get married. The worst part is they neither can hear the truth nor can they see anyone telling the truth when they are the reason behind whatever is going on." She gave a very cryptic response.

"Hmmm." I hummed.

"What hmm? Say something?" She said, exasperated.

"I mean I don't know what to say or feel. I mean I don't understand why would anyone want to hide it and I totally agree with your point of view, but I really can't comment on your family, you know? Plus, I'm still not very pleased with you barging out of your house late at night as a part of your protest against your family's weird thought process." I defended my reaction, stopping the car at the signal.

"Hmm." Now she hummed in response.

The remaining ride to her house was pretty silent, with just the radio playing in the background. Both of us didn't exchange any words after that conversation.

As soon as I entered the lane of her house, her body tensed up near me and I hate the fact that I can really not do anything to calm her down.

My family has always been so supportive and kind to me that I cannot fathom the fact that someone can be sad and uncomfortable around their family. And this is probably the reason why I fail to protect Smriti's sanity from her family.

Soon we reached in front of the gate of Smriti's house. I parked the car outside the gate and turned to look at her.

"Come inside." She told me before getting out of the car.

"No it's okay." I politely refused, understanding that they may need privacy to discuss the issue at hand as a family.

"I insist." She pleaded with her eyes and I didn't have it in me to refuse those beautiful grey eyes.

I nodded at her, turning off the engine and pulling out the car key with me.

We walked inside the gate slowly. On reaching the main door of her house, Smriti hesitatingly rang the bell. The door was then opened by a house helper who welcomed us inside with an expression of shock and confusion plastered on her face. We sat on the couch while the house helper went to call everyone from their rooms. Slowly, everyone came out and gathered in front of us, making both of us feel awkward.

"SMRITIIIII" Aunty shouted, approaching us from the back. She came in front of us and before anyone could comprehend anything she raised her hand to hit Smriti, however I pulled her towards me just in time.

To say I was shocked at the turn of events would be an understatement. My parents have never raised their hands on any of us, even as children. To think of anyone raising their hands on their grown-up daughter just gives me goosebumps.

"Mumma please calm down." Smriti's bhabhi spoke to her mom, rubbing her back, in an attempt to calm her rage.

Smriti's gaze instantly locked with mine as I asked her through my eyes whether she was fine and she responded with a yes and thanked me through her eyes. She looked away as soon as we heard everyone clear their throats and hear some of them cough as well. I left her too, sensing her discomfort.

"Rajshri, sit down and let me talk to my pari calmly." Dadu urged Aunty.

"Dad please, first of all, this is all your fault. You've unnecessarily been lenient with her and there's absolutely no point of talking to her calmly. She spent a night outside our house shamelessly." Smriti's father roared, making all of us shiver in our places. Dadu immediately left the room, hurt by the way his son had talked to him in front of everyone.