“Why do you have a wolf?” I asked curiously. He peered at the animal at his feet and shrugged.

“He just started to follow me when I was lost in woods a while ago.” He answered. I frowned at him as I sat at the other end of the couch as far from him as possible.

“What do you mean you were lost?” werewolves don’t get lost. He took another bite of his hot dog then gave the rest to the wolf.

“Just what it means, I woke up in the woods a year ago and he was there” he pointed to the pup. “He’s been like my personal guide and savior. He’s the one who’s been hunting food for us to eat.” I was quiet after this. Was it possible that he forgot he was a werewolf? 

Wait, did he just say a year ago? So that means he’s lost all twenty one years of his life? That must be frustrating.

“Hey, you say you knew me before?” he said tuning to face me and I nodded. “Can you tell me something about my past? Were we friends?” his gray eyes were bright with excited and curiosity as he stared at me expectantly.

“Umm… we were… uh-” what do I say.

‘No you hated my guts and rejected me as your mate’ yeah that will make him comfortable.

“No, we weren’t close friends but we were acquaintances, we live in the same house.” I told him the best I could.

He tilted his head,

“Oh so we were roommates?” he asked reaching over to pick up another hotdog.

“You can say that” I muttered getting back up and walked into the kitchen. I moved the tea pot from the back burner to the front, filled it with water and a couple of tea bags.

“Do you know my family?” he asked a few minutes later. I looked up at him over the kitchen counter.

“Not personally but I’d seen them around back home.” I told him.

“Home, where is home?” he was staring at me.

“Portland” the tea pot went off suddenly. I saw him flinch and cover his ears quickly. I furrowed my brows at him.

“Are you ok?” I asked turning the fire off fast. He nodded.

“Yeah” he said curtly.  He stood from the couch and started to walk around the room looking at the painting I had hung up. For some odd reason I was really nervous about that. That was my work and he could judge it harshly if he didn’t like it and I didn’t like that feeling. I watched him study each one with quiet scrutiny which only caused me to bit my lip anxiously. This somehow brought me back to my first art show when my new friends forced me to a display my work. I had never showed anyone my work before and there I was watching a whole bunch of complete strangers discuss and look at my work. I remember my heart was pounding and I was sweating asking myself ‘what if they didn’t like them?’ would they be cruel to my face?’

Now I was having déjà vu seeing Kyle, feeling the same back then, asking the same questions of myself.

“Where did you get these?” Kyle suddenly asked as he walked across the room to another painting.

“I made them” my voice hesitant. He turned towards me with wide eyes.

“Seriously?” I nodded.

“There amazing, you have some serious talent Levi” he praised and I couldn’t help the smile from spreading on my face. My wolf was prancing inside with joy and a big head from his compliment.

“T-thank you” I whispered.

“You’re welcome, I wish I had some awesome talent like this.” he smiled at me again.

I couldn’t believe that he was actually being nice to me. Kyle walked back to the table and picked up another hot dog giving half to the wolf who gobbled it down.

“Thank you again for letting us stay here. I’ll be out of your hair tomorrow.” He said. Suddenly I had some weird desperate need to chain him so he couldn’t leave. I don’t know why I did it but I couldn’t stop the next words coming from leaving my mouth.

“No, you can stay as long as you like!” I said rather quickly and a blush filled my cheeks as I realized how pathetic I sounded just then. Kyle was watching me in surprise so I laughed rushing out an explanation.

“I mean, I’m happy to provide shelter for you if you want. I can see that you’re not really doing well out there and I’m willing to help you get a job or something to get you back on your feet.” He was silent but I could tell he was thinking about it.

“I don’t know I don’t want to be a bother to you or anything.” I shook my head.

“You need a friend Kyle and it just so happens that I’m the only one who actually knows you.” He did shrug in agreement with that.

“That is nice to know” he chuckled. I nodded,

“Yeah but first I need to help you get identification before we do anything.”

“That’s important too, I really need that.” he stood again and walked over to me. He held his hand out to me for a shake.

“I swear I’ll pay you back for all this.” he told me sincerely. I glanced down at his hand before reaching out and shaking his. The sparks ignited between us traveling up our fingers and shooting through our arms to consume our bodies. My wolf howled in joy at being able to feel him and I glanced up at Kyle who snatched his hand back in surprise, he looked up at me with those beautiful gray eyes but I noticed the slight darker tint that wasn’t there moments before. Kyle flexed his hand a couple of times then chuckled.

“Weird” he muttered. I nodded,

“Yeah” I answered breathlessly.

Once things settled for the night I lay in my bed all too aware of Kyle, my mate, being only a few feet down from my room sleeping. I could smell his strong overpowering sent and I couldn’t get my mind straight. It was racing like a mile a minute. He was here, he was going to stay with me for a while, I have a damn boyfriend and the man that stole my heart was back in my life.

What the hell have I done!