Harper Avery didn't bother to give his grandson much of a heads up that he was in town until he was already landed at the airport the day before, demanding that his grandson take the time out of his schedule the next day to meet him for an early lunch. He refused to call it brunch, even though it was pretty darn early. Who had "lunch" at 10:00 in the morning? People who were still expecting to eat breakfast, that's who.

Harper had one of his expectant smiles on his face when his grandson walked into the restaurant he had chosen, which almost instantly faltered when Jackson paused at the door to keep it open, and there was his short little friend following soon behind him.

Harper had stood up as Jackson and Blair approached the table, which was set for two and now needed to be set for three, and pulled his grandson into a hug before just offering Blair a smile. She had known the older Avery for almost two decades, but time never wore him down.

He still thought a girl like Blair and her simple ambitions were beneath Jackson, as if she needed to also be a surgeon to be even worth breathing the same air as his grandson.

"So, visiting Jackson again I see," Harper nodded, his chin slightly tilted up to Blair as the waiter came to their table to put down another set of utensils and a small plate. "Didn't realize one could afford all these vacations on a high school English teacher's salary. Are you still working on that story of yours?"

Blair pursed her lips, turning to Jackson with a knowing, icy glare. She snatched a breadstick from the basket in the middle of the table before leaning back in her chair, taking a rather aggressive bite into the bread.

She did not want to come to this meal for this reason alone. If there was anyone in the world that managed to make Blair feel small, it was him. Him and his decisions that if Jackson did ever end up with her, he would merely be settling. She wasn't even sure why it bothered her so much—it wasn't not like it was ever going to go there with her and Jackson anyways. It wasn't like either of them wanted it to. Yet, each time, she wondered if she would be able to change his mind about her.

"She's actually a professor now," Jackson spoke up for her. "Here in Seattle. And she's writing a novel, Grandpa."

"Is that right?" Harper sounded bored, and he had already averted his attention to the menu instead of Blair.

She continued to munch of her bread and look around the restaurant, the spirals in the red wallpaper, the dark wooden trimming along the walls and ceiling. Her leg bounced up and down under the table, moving the white table cloth ever so slightly.

Jackson placed a hand on her knee, using his thumb to caress it without calling any attention to the exchange. He kept his eyes on his own menu though, trying to conceal any indicators to his grandfather that she was nervous.

˚ʚ♡ɞ˚

"He freaking passed out while having brunch with me, Jackson," Blair whispered yelled into her best friend's ear as she tried to keep up with him and the paramedics as Harper Avery was strolled into the emergency room at Seattle Grace Mercy West. "His body is literally physically repulsed by my very being! My entire existence caused his body to factory reset!"

"Calm down," Jackson whispered back to her.

"Do not tell me to calm down!"